Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plane offset question

Greg_J

Hello,

When I create a program using a 4th axis on a VMC and I'm using many different planes I need to make sure that the work offsets say 1 in the Plane Manager so that I don't get different work offsets for each plane; by default if I do nothing I will get G55, G56 etc. for as many planes as I use. 

Is there a way that I can force MC to always use G54 regardless of what plane I use with out changing the work offset in the Plane Manager every time I program a part?

Thanks for your input.

Greg

• Like 1

Hello,

When I create a program using a 4th axis on a VMC and I'm using many different planes I need to make sure that the work offsets say 1 in the Plane Manager so that I don't get different work offsets for each plane; by default if I do nothing I will get G55, G56 etc. for as many planes as I use. 

Is there a way that I can force MC to always use G54 regardless of what plane I use with out changing the work offset in the Plane Manager every time I program a part?

Thanks for your input.

Greg

Mastercam file no, the post yes.

I forced myself to get in the habit of always updating them in the planes manager.

I forced myself to get in the habit of always updating them in the planes manager

I do too, if you miss one it can turn out real bad. (knock on wood nothing has happened yet) I always do a search after posting in Cimco for G55 -G59.

I have been finding that in the actual program in the Operations Manager not remembering in the Plane Manager is the issue, often under the Planes (WCS) tab the Work Offset is unchecked or it's grayed out then that's where I miss it.

Thanks for the help Ron.

Does anyone else dislike the "automatic" work offset numbering mechanism in plane manager? I don't want Mastercam to manage my work offsets by default so I always have to switch it to manual. This should be an option under settings.

Yup.

To repeat - this is a train crash waiting to happen.

You can change your post to disable it and enter 54 for G54 output, 55 for G55 output etc.

Do a search on here.

:cheers:

I have been burnt by this several times.  It has also caused one crash in a 3ax VMC.  Coming from other softwares that only change it from G54 if I tell it to I had to really hammer in the habit to manage this in my plane manager.  I now have a habit of doing this every single creation.  It's like naming it, I just do it.

I know I can force it in the post but then I have to go undo it when I do want to use multiple offsets.  It would be so much better if the default was G54 then you had to tell it to increment.  Who ever thought that was a good idea any way?

• Like 1

Wow I have never had a problem with this, I just finished up a nasty 3 + 2 with 6 planes and never stepped out of G54. Perhaps my 2 5 axis posts are already hardwired for G54 only but I'm worried so now I'll check every time.

Mastercam mp based posted contain this line

use_frst_wcs : no$  #Use only the first WCS read and ignore all others in NCI

set it to no.. only one workoffest gets output

if you need more that one you have to set this switch to yes

• Like 1

Well, you said you use an offset for every single plane.  I do when I need it or for a tight feature but for every plane it's a bit redonkulous.  I can have hundreds of planes and I'm only going to do it when needed.

Also, my bad.  I don't remember every thread on here.

I don't think it is redonkulous.

As a programmer, it is literally no extra work for me, the post does the work.

As a shop owner it saves time and money. It is a more flexible system that allows the operator, and even the programmer, a lot of liberties that are not available to one offset rotary work.

• Like 1

Mastercam mp based posted contain this line

use_frst_wcs : no$  #Use only the first WCS read and ignore all others in NCI

set it to no.. only one workoffest gets output

if you need more that one you have to set this switch to yes

I don't have "use_frst_wcs" in my post.

Its MPFAN.pst

Any ideas what to change in this one?

I didn't do it on the mill posts, but on the post I use for the Mori NL's, I put a pop up alarm in if the work offset for if a plane isn't actually set to a number in the view manager.  The way I set the post up everything needs to be G54 for the main spindle and G55 for the sub, so I have the post toss an alarm if a plane isn't set to one of those two numbers.

A bit more to put in to cover the work offset numbers you would use on a mill, but you might be able to set up the same type of thing.