Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Using a Vertical Mill as a Vertical Lathe

MetalMarvels

I have done some searching through the threads on this topic, but didn't isolate anything pertinent. Has anyone out there attempted to use their vertical mill as a "lathe". Presumably, one could hold the cutting tools on the table at various places on the table (at some height above the table). Then hold the stock in a tool holder in the spindle.

Granted that this is an idle curiosity question - but why wouldn't it work for "light-duty" types of "lathe" work? The "logic" is a little weird, but it seems to work - just cutting air at eh moment tho...

Any thoughts.....

I've never seen it done, but I've seen parts that were made that way. I would imagine that it could get confusing trying to drive the part around a stationary tool.

I also saw a guy cut a round boss on a square part on a Bridgeport by pointing the cutting edge inward and "closing in" on the diameter with a boring bar.

Thad

quote:

How about cutting a thread in the same way using multiple tapping cycles... each one moving in x or y further into the cutter for depth cuts

That sounds like a good way to thump a spindle biggrin.gif

I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done though.

I have also done this and there was a thread about 7 months ago where a person talked about the very thing. He use to make these little pins. I put my tool in a vice then just postion the tool relative to center where you need it to do this correctly. I could see you doing this with 4 fixture offset and 4 vices with 4 tools to do many thing you could do the threading but would be kind of tricky. I think the thing here would be as a one or two part thing. I have relivied tools like this and put more clearence this way also. I have also made parts round in a 4th axis usign a ball endmill like a came driver shaft that was not really round but was not really square either.

I have done this lots of times.

Profile turning with an 80 deg tool and grooving as well; all manual part programming without the use of Mastercam.

The tricky part is the radial/diametral consideration regarding the math; this really comes down to how bad you want to work it in order to overcome the problem at hand.

Look at it this way - If I physically toppled the machining center then I would have a three axis lathe.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Gary,

We’re happy that this worked out for you – just think of all the money saved as opposed to the sub contract; soon you will have the money for that Mazak lathe that you’ve been lusting for. biggrin.gif J/K

Granted that you followed Jimmy’s advise; I am of the older school regarding programming, math, and the like – hence the way that I approach things.

You could also program Mastercam lathe and simply flip the numbers to suit a manual part program switching the X & Z axis of a lathe to the X & Z axis of a machining centre – but you would still need to use radial values.

Perhaps I will upload a picture and small solution for consideration – how about one from you as well.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

I've been wanting to try this for a while now..just have not run into the right job for it yet frown.gif I thought it would be realy cool if I could put a part in each of the machines tools push the go button and it would run thru all the parts, sounds like fun...in theory! bonk.gif

I found out that now ,when we can do surface contour and pocket with undercut with a slot mill and lollipop ,for example, the need of this trick for me is less then ever .

I think the need for this is very limitied .

I `ve done with undercutting toolpathes a lot of works to be considered as lathe work ,and in the times of ver7 and 8 too (when I used tricky ways to get what I want )

And in any case real lathe work will be radically faster(setup is simpler and work faster )

:grin: biggrin.gif