Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How may of you get to see your program?

jmm0422

How many of you guys program and send it to the floor and never get to see it actually run?

How many of you program what you run?

I am in the first boat. We have so many new projects coming thru the shop, and I never know when that job I programmed will ever hit the floor that I do not get to watch the program run.

Any thoughts either way?

Jason

I get to see nearly nothing of what I program. Sure, I get out on the floor and get to see a minute here or a minute there, rarely do I get to actually run anything anymore.

I ran a partial prove out on a part a couple of months ago on a Saturday when none of the other guys could.

Other than that, I run nothing.

Being a small inhouse mold build and repair shop I get to run about 90% of the things I program. With that said I do a quick prove out put a M01 at tool changes, and walk away. We have alot of stuff to get through 3 machines and it takes alot of attention quickly and a good ear. The older guy in the shop who handles alot of the grinding says I look like a dog sometimes. My head will rock to the side and I will listen for a moment then I will go and check the machine. That goes for the wire, mill and ram. They all have distinct sounds when they run good and if it doesn't sound right it probably isn't. We run alot of lights out cavity and core cutting and those programs we try to prove out before leaving. Tool breakage detection has made me much more comfortable and has saved our butts a time or two.

So to answer the question after a long fingered respones. Yes I get to run what I program.

Being a small shop, I get to see about half of the stuff I program actually run.

Mostly, I could see any of it if I need to, but with wire EDMs, Jig Grinders, Gear grinders, and CNC Mills to program for, I don't always get the chance.

I have run all those machines in the past, and still do run all of them occasionally, as the need arises. Like this week, the operator for the wire EDMs is on vacation, so I'll be in charge of making sure the secondary op knows what's going on. It'll be a fun week :-)

Since I do less programming than most of you guys do I get out to the floor to see my jobs run the first time thru unless it is a really simple part and I try to be there for those, too, if I can. I feel that the operator has more confidence when the guy who's responsible for the job is standing there, too.

If I couldn't watch the machines run and hold the parts in my hand, I wouldn't want to do this for a living anymore.

C