Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam CAD usage Survey

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From time to time we find ourselves spending too much time working on the "issue dujour" and let the real needs get out of focus a bit. This survey is just intended to help us see where we are compared to where you need us to be so we can plan better.

It's too bad no one asked about parameterics, i've heard that some people like it. wink.gif

BTW - The Sweatshirts can be purchased through your dealer if you really want one.

quote:

posted 11-30-2006 03:23 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If MC were parametric..... oh the possibilities

my dream CAd/Cam software is Mastercam toolpaths

running inside SolidWorks.

Dear Santa, If I can only have one present this year please make it this one!

quote:

CATIA on the other hand... they don't give a rats @$$ about end users/customers. They don't want to hear a peep from you. They want your money and NOTHING ELSE. If you don't like something, tough... tell your reseller and MAYBE you'll see some action this decade if you're lucky. They just implemented threadmilling FROM THE BOTTOM UP in V5 R17 [Eek!] talk about a bunch of idiots!!!

Unfortunately, a distinctly French mindset.

Airbus recently blamed Dassault/CATIA for the delays and overruns in their latest project.

It seems Dassault/CATIA has interoperability issues within its own product suite.

"For Sale Cheap - French Rifle, Never Shot, Only Dropped Once!"

quote:

BTW - The Sweatshirts can be purchased through your dealer if you really want one.

Yeah, but the free ones are so much warmer. biggrin.gif

quote:

Well...i guess I will have to see if Barefoot will get me one

They sure have nice T shirts. wink.gif

Thad teh Wakefest '06

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Bullet,

Having used a "real" assembly modeler (CATIA), it's real easy to say, but real hard to do. You Still have to regenerate all the toolpaths in the assocoated models, and it still does not work like they say it does. I think X2's Change Recognition is breathing down the neck of CATIA's model changes. Now, if you're the guy modeling the part and you program it, it's just like MC, regen and done, but say I'm in Seattle, and the programmer in Wichita gets a change order and requires a new model, or is VERY different. Just like in past versions of MC, you have to compare the 2 models and start fro mthere. Same thing in CATIA. All that money and the only REAL power is in the CAD/CAE/PLM side of things. The CAM side is just wretched, some cool 5-Axis stuff, and a cool toolpath or 2, but still wretched nonetheless.

CATIA interoperability between V3/4 and V5 is horrific. Getting better, but, still as awful if not worse than a bad IGES translation in some instances. Dittos only come in as CGR's (basically useless)

With parametric cam system things not always smooth. If the features that you referenced to are deleted or suppressed the software will ask you for new reference feature. Programming in paramatric requires different mindset in order to be success. You have to pay attention to "parent/child relationship", "design intent". If you these terms only applie to designer then you will be in alot of trouble. This is just my personal experience from a Mastercam programmer to a parametric cam system.

It is called MasterCAM so I would assume the largest audience is mainly cam centered and based on the generalized questions of the survey, that will be confirmed.

It is my opinion that “most” users of MCX must bust out programs very quickly - perhaps several a day. That’s the market it leads... But, a SIMPLE assembly based modeler with a REAL drafting package i.e.separate window that “views in” the models would be a real plus even for those users.

We tend to leave out much of the detail of a fixture or the machine envelope for file size and program time considerations. My previous cadcam system made very small part files compared to MCX. That was the benefit of assemblies. Also, every time we add holes to the existing subplates on the machines we play this long and convoluted game called “Where are the new holes you added?”. A “live” updated assemble component of the plate cures that (most times).

Bottom line: MasterCam as a CAM package is what keeps it strong. If you start to go cadcam there are other options out there that own that market.

--

Bill