Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X3 MU1 is Released

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

My understanding is MU's are going to be geared much more towards bug fixes than introducing "new" functionality.

chip,

I can't speak for the latest MU, but back when Maint first started, it was explained that "paying customers" (those on Maint) should get added functionality for their money. This would also encourage non Maint customers to become Maint customers. Service Packs would primarily be composed of bug fixes. If it was the other way around (as you mentioned), people would have to pay more to get bugs fixed and the people who payed less had a more robust (more features) version of the software. I'm paraphrasing here, but that's how it was explained at the time.

Thad

Todd,

Are you saying that MR is still MR but SP is now MU?

EDIT: No, it can't be, because you must have Maint to use this MU. Looking back on this thread, Colin already answered that. So, I'm still confused by your reply, Todd. biggrin.gif

Thad

quote:

I can't speak for the latest MU, but back when Maint first started, it was explained that "paying customers" (those on Maint) should get added functionality for their money. This would also encourage non Maint customers to become Maint customers. Service Packs would primarily be composed of bug fixes.

This was my understanding also. I did not upgrade till now because the original X3 release had the extremely annoying highlight bug.

[rant]Not counting the FBM fixes (which by looking at the forum VERY VERY few people use) there are 3 or 4 "enhancements". I am sorry...but a new arc filter means absolutely nothing for those of us fortunate enough running a semi modern control. Iscar provided a lathe library.....I would be willing to be that Iscar would be willing to provide V9 users a lathe library. Cutter comp with peal mill is the only thing of interest shown in the .PDF document....but I will be honestly say that I have never that I have never used this toolpath [cough]Cimco adaptive clearing[/cough].

I suppose going off what the past has offered us with what used to be called "Maintenance Releases" (Advanced multiaxis, HSM toolpaths, even FZT processing) the new "Maintenance Update" scheme is not exactly blowing my shorts off with updates.[/rant]