Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Feature Suggestions

Rotary Ninja

What I think would be nice is if Mastercam could start computing the toolpath as you were still setting the parameters. Then it could show you in real time what each change made. Even if it were a rough guess of the toolpath. There should be an order you have to follow. Select the toolpath - then the surfaces, geometry, whatever - then the tool. From there Mastercam could start showing you your toolpath as you change the parameters. This would save a lot of time trying something that ultimately doesn't work. To spend 20-30 minutes watching the hourglass on the screen while a toolpath regenerates only to watch it fail is a source of real frustration for me sometimes.

Here is another one... I don't like having the toolpath displayed after I create a toolpath. So in the config, I have Repaint toolpath unchecked. This has worked fine for me since I like to backplot every toolpath after I create them and watch the movement. I never toggle them on and off.

But now that I have started using the Stock model feature you have to toggle the toolpath on and off to see what is going on. And every time I click this toggle button the setting in the config to Repaint the toolpath gets turned back on. So with subsequent toolpaths I have to toggle the toolpaths back off again after each one created, or uncheck Repaint toolpath in the config AGAIN. Then if I need to see my stock model again this whole process repeats. Please make this button an actual toggle, and have it leave that config settin alone. Or if that is too much to ask please add a toggle in the Stock model toolpath that is seperate from the other toolpaths.

Thank you.

"To spend 20-30 minutes watching the hourglass on the screen while a toolpath regenerates only to watch it fail is a source of real frustration for me sometimes."

I agree, and 20 to 30 minutes can actually be a short time in some cases but is it pure tool path failure or a situation where you get what you asked for, IE: garbage in, garbage out. Most of the time it's usually me that makes the error but then again, some of the options can be pretty vague and or sparse in there descriptions when selecting the help button. The irony of this is that I decide to explore something new, leave the Mastercam defaults alone then walk away PO'ed because there's no way I'm going to run a toolpath that looks like that.

More tool tips should be available as your creating the toolpath, in a vernacular that's suited to the layman such as select this option to reduce cycle time, that option to improve finish, this option doesn't work and so on. Even a notice that something stupid is about to occur would be cool. That gets old quick, so the ability to shut them off needs to be there as well.

While were at it how about making the HST defaults actually use the data from the tool.

I set up a 1/2 bull e-mill with default stepover of RGH XY 12%, stepdown of .96 in my tool library. Set my tool settings to pull data from my tool and use tools step peck and coolant. Start an Opti this or that path and what do I get? 37.5% step over, .75 step down, a helix radius of .25 and skip pockets smaller than .55. The entry feeds/speeds dialog box is checked by default and has a ramp spindle speed of 0.00, oooh boy! Why does MC choose to use a step down of .75 when I specifically set my tool up so that it uses a depth of .96?

Try this now with 1/8 bull e-mill whose tool settings in the library are 10% rgh XY and .50 Z stepdown. Select opticore, change no settings and the exact same lame defaults appear in the transitions page and cut parameters. Once again, MC decides to use .187 as a step down when the tool is set up for a step down of .50.

How can we make this actually work?

1) Make the toolpath actually use the data from the tool library for step overs and step downs in the Optipaths. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that's my reasoning for creating new tool libraries, this e-mill, that type of steel, these settings, and nothing but these settings. Wouldn't it be nice if I could go to the manufactures website, grab the data and set-up my tool in the libraries and it produces a usable toolpath right away? Is that asking for too much?

2) Transitions... How do you use an 1/8 bullmill, make a helix radius on entry of .25, the same default as the previous tool, and not leave a f-in post standing up?

MAKE THIS VALUE BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF THE TOOL DIAMETER AS A DEFAULT.

3) Skip pockets smaller that .55. Really? Does that give my 1/2 emill room to do anything? What about the 1/8 emill? This tool could easily go into a much smaller area and still have room to generate curved entry moves in the tool path. MAKE THIS VALUE BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF THE TOOL DIAMETER AS A DEFAULT.

4) Entry feeds and speeds. Ramp feed of 50. 50 what? IPM? Percent of tool default? Why is that default even turned on and with that setting? The help file states: Overrides the feed rate set on the tools page, and uses the specified feed rate for entry ramps into the cut. I guess we calculate the toolpath, 30 minutes later we post code and find out. Can't forget about the zero spindle speed on entry default. MAKE THIS VALUE BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF THE TOOLS ORIGINAL SPEEDS AND FEEDS DATA FROM THE LIBRARY AS A DEFAULT.

DON'T FORGET TO... Click here to print this topic.

I agree, and 20 to 30 minutes can actually be a short time in some cases but is it pure tool path failure or a situation where you get what you asked for, IE: garbage in, garbage out. Most of the time it's usually me that makes the error but then again, some of the options can be pretty vague and or sparse in there descriptions when selecting the help button. The irony of this is that I decide to explore something new, leave the Mastercam defaults alone then walk away PO'ed because there's no way I'm going to run a toolpath that looks like that.

Yeah, most times it is me screwing something up. How was i supposed to know you are supposed to click the inside of a shock body to tell the tool not to cut the opposite side of the surface? :p

Wouldn't it be nice if I could go to the manufactures website, grab the data and set-up my tool in the libraries and it produces a usable toolpath right away? Is that asking for too much?

I agree. But this is just as much the manufacturers fault. Why don't they all have their complete library in a Mastercam tool library file? I know some of them do. That would be so nice if they all did this.

...DON'T FORGET TO... Click here to print this topic.

LOL. You feel better? I feel ya man. It's getting better though. If it's any consolation I have spent the last ten minutes trying to open a flash drive in Windows 8. I am now resorting to doing a google to ask how to do this. NO JOKE!

Create letters Make Drafting always available for selection no matter the font.(since it Always applies the Values from Drafting Options)

Letters.png

Remove the "More options Arrow" Just make the window popup with all the options, it is an annoying extra click 99% of the time.

menu_arrow.pngarrow2.png

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

When analyzing a part using "Analyze Dynamic" it only shows a radius value. Please add diameter to this. I am always using this tool to analyze features of a part model (solids) and comparing hole diameters to the print. It's a pain in the butt to have to grab a calculator and double the rad to find out a hole diameter. This is of course only a problem on solids with no wireframe geometry on them.

If there is an easier way to quickly find a hole diameter on a solid please tell me.

• Like 1

Don't remember if this is mentioned yet but.... PLEASE make a global setting, (or maybe a file setting) to always pull the current version of the machine def.

Mike

I stuck an enhancement request in for this back along. I 'm sure there's a thread here somewhere

• 3 weeks later...

I know its probably a bit late for X7, but wouldn't it be cool if you could associate a toolpath group/machine group with a viewsheet? So say operation 1 is Setup for a Lathe, and Operation 2 is set up for mill, When you clicked on the Operation 1 Viewsheet it would position your insert arrow at the bottom of your lathe machine group? I think it would be a great feature, so you just click on your viewsheet, and then you are ready to program/verify straight away?

• Like 1