Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Feature Suggestions

Rotary Ninja

A lifelong battle.

The way I see it, and the way I was taught inspection, either a part is good or it's bad. There is no "better" or "worse". If you'll accept the part at the same price out to the limits of the tolerance, then I aim for the center of the tolerance. All modelling and dimensioning should be done at the midpoint of the tolerance zone. Asymetrical tolerancing is asking for problems all over the place.

Correct 100%.

Tolerances are there to be used, as you can never make anything 'spot on'. Everyone who makes anything will always aim at nominal to allow for deviation. You're asking for a bollocking for making scrap if you aim at bottom limit and go a tenth under, when there is 3 tenths to have played with.

There was a good couple of threads on practical machinist on this and also amount of decimal places. If a jockey states 1.0, the part didn't really matter, but if he put 1.000 then he wanted it really really close to 1.0. And this was irrespective of the general drawing tolerances. A few people got really bent out of shape stating that the cad jockey was using 'implied dimensioning' etc by doing it this way.

The drawings we normally get are always .XXX as it is the default dimensioning on the cad systems, and the boys are too lazy to change anything :rolleyes:.

Work to drawing and carry on!

To each his own. Yes they are there to use them. But in my experience making hundreds of complex fixtures to hold parts at ridiculous angles with tooling ball locations, dowel pin locations, etc I see the reason for these types of tolerances. There are also usually mating parts that are held to the opposite tolerance. When they want a snug fit and you give them a loose fit because you can, that just means you could have done better. When the customer gets those parts and the fit is spot on perfect, maybe they will remember that when they need another part quoted in the future.

Edit: Oh and by the way... Your mouth is crooked on your avatar :harhar:

When they want a snug fit and you give them a loose fit because you can, that just means you could have done better. When the customer gets those parts and the fit is spot on perfect, maybe they will remember that when they need another part quoted in the future.

If you want a snug fit you should ask for it rather than hoping for it. A snug fit costs more than a loose fit. If you ask for a loose fit and I give you a snug fit I'm losing profit. So what you're really saying is quote it as a loose tolerance but make it as a tight tolerance.

If you want a snug fit you should ask for it rather than hoping for it. A snug fit costs more than a loose fit. If you ask for a loose fit and I give you a snug fit I'm losing profit. So what you're really saying is quote it as a loose tolerance but make it as a tight tolerance.

This is a constant source of frustration here. I had a part with 60 .236 dia. holes dimensioned +.0008/+.002. Needless to say the model had .236 diameters. The tolerance on the print was so small the "+" was just an ink splotch and appeared to be a "-". Of course I had no pdf of the print. Net result= pissed off people on both ends. They need to make engineers get dirty in a shop before they get a degree.

Generally, the machinist doesn't do the quoting. So quote it however you want. Me, I am an anal retentive pr##k of a machinist and strive to do better on a daily basis. All I am saying is, if I can give the customer what they want I will try my best. Cub Scouts Motto.

Generally, the machinist doesn't do the quoting. So quote it however you want. Me, I am an anal retentive pr##k of a machinist and strive to do better on a daily basis. All I am saying is, if I can give the customer what they want I will try DO my best. Cub Scouts Motto.

fissed it for you!

• 1 month later...

You have the ability in the tool definition to tell mcam (and your post if you pull the parameter) if the tool is for roughing, finishing, or both.

You could also pull the parameter for the type of tool (i.e. drill, tap, face mill) and use it in the post for whatever you want....

post-30600-0-51249100-1350589205_thumb.jpgpost-30600-0-46598400-1350589213_thumb.jpg

Is this the X6 parameter reference, I tried getting it from the Reseller but no good; then again they always take for ever to answer anything.

• 1 month later...

How about when you click "Offset Contour" and a dialog box opens that says the offset has failed because it is defaulting to 1". Is there a way to set this default value smaller? Or even zero? It has always bugged me, but I am currently working on a part that I am offsetting a number of contours and it gets annoying every time I try to use it and a dialog box opens up that I have to interact with for no reason. This would be better if it just showed the offset direction with an arrow after you picked the chain to offset then opened the offset parameters window so you could set a value..

Another thing that would be nice, if is translate tool paths had an option for selecting point pattern as translate method.

Cimatron had this function and it was great for fixtures that were not made to a perfect grid. It was also great for fixtures that had a station that got hammered. You could just de-select that point and it would leave that part out.

Another thing that would be nice, if is translate tool paths had an option for selecting point pattern as translate method.

Cimatron had this function and it was great for fixtures that were not made to a perfect grid. It was also great for fixtures that had a station that got hammered. You could just de-select that point and it would leave that part out.

If you translated by tool plane, you would set the origin of each fixture in the control. G54, G55, G56 or G54.1 P1, G54.1 P2 ,etc on a Fanuc control.

Carmen

If you translated by tool plane, you would set the origin of each fixture in the control. G54, G55, G56 or G54.1 P1, G54.1 P2 ,etc on a Fanuc control.

Carmen

If we could translate by point pattern we would only need a single fixture offset. ;)

Just jerking your chain.

I have discovered several alternative methods to this but none are really convenient.

I dont like having to use 20 fixture offsets when it is not necessary.

Having the ability to translate a tool path to a point pattern was a very handy feature. I missed it badly when making the move to Mastercam. Not only does it give you 100% control of your translation locations, it also allows you to make fine adjustments to each station individually if needed. You could even translate to a nesting pattern.

I have one..

How about a undo view button..

Once again working on a complicated part.. have rotated through about 5 different angles to get the view looking down the profile I need to cut.. get called away and when I return hit the top view button forgetting to save the view..

Hit undo.. and remove some geometry .. doesnt effect view whatsoever (of course I knew that but always seem to hit undo anyhow)

So my suggestion.. make a undo view change option from the view menu.. so you can always go back to your last view or for that matter the last few views ie recent views list..

Just a thought but I know I would have used this option a lot of times over the last few years..

I have one..

How about a undo view button..

Once again working on a complicated part.. have rotated through about 5 different angles to get the view looking down the profile I need to cut.. get called away and when I return hit the top view button forgetting to save the view..

Hit undo.. and remove some geometry .. doesnt effect view whatsoever (of course I knew that but always seem to hit undo anyhow)

So my suggestion.. make a undo view change option from the view menu.. so you can always go back to your last view or for that matter the last few views ie recent views list..

Just a thought but I know I would have used this option a lot of times over the last few years..

It's not a View Undo, but try ALT +P ( Previous View)

How about voice commands so I can just tell Mastercam what to do. I am not kidding I would like to be able to say something like " create line tangent " or " Toolpath surface finish constant scallop" and then pick entities like normal. Or when I fill in the parameters page I could say " use half inch ball mill , feedrate of 50, leave .010., step over .025, ". Or say " backplot toolpath number one " or say " post toolpath number one and send ". Just something to think about.