Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Feature Suggestions

Rotary Ninja

First of all, I suggest you start a forum for suggestions :laughing:

Here are a few things I would like to see added/changed in future versions of Mastercam...

1. Ability to adjust the feedrate and RPM of the first pass through a pocket in the toolpath parameters. The first cut is always a slot, cutting the full width of the endmill.

2. Spring passes on a contour. Leading in and leading out takes up time if all you want to do is make another lap. It is a feature on a pocket. Why is it not on a contour?

3. When I spend 10 minutes selecting entities then click XFORM>>>TRANSLATE 3D and close the dialog because I meant to click XFORM>>>TRANSLATE all of those entities I had selected de-select. It really sucks that I have to re-select all those entities again. Keep the entities selected until you actually do something to them.

I know I have more to add to this but right now this is all I can think of.

First of all, I suggest you start a forum for suggestions :laughing:

http://www.emasterca...hp?showforum=23

There is one^^^^^. Some are blocked for new users (I don't know if that one is or not), but a PM to Webby should get you access.

1. Dynamic toolpaths have many entry options.

2. Multipasses with spacing of zero

3. when you have xform translate 3d (or whatever) window open, just hit the green check without changing anything... i.e. from top to top... the selected entities will turn purple(unless you changed your default xform result color) then in the general selection bar, click "all" and in the window that pops up, click the xform result button at the top.

HTH!

Spring passes on a contour. Leading in and leading out takes up time if all you want to do is make another lap. It is a feature on a pocket. Why is it not on a contour?

You can do this now

One the Multipass page

Roughing = 0

Fininshing , Numebr =2 Spacing = 0

On the leadin/out page

Check

"Enter on first depth cut only"

and

"Exit on Depth Cut only"

• Like 2
Spring passes on a contour. Leading in and leading out takes up time if all you want to do is make another lap. It is a feature on a pocket. Why is it not on a contour?

or using the wait command and turning off infinite look ahead and chaining it twice

Well at least I learned something. =)

I suggest getting away from this old tool and go with Dynamic Xform faster easier to use.

Can anyone tell me why using translate 3D is any better then Dynamic Xform?

I don't use translate 3d. I always click it by mistake when trying to click xform>>>translate is what I was saying.

Well at least I learned something. =)

That's the key, my brutha...and that's all that really matters. ;)

I don't use translate 3d. I always click it by mistake when trying to click xform>>>translate is what I was saying.

You know, you can change your toolbars to be just the way you like them. I don't use it either so I removed it from my toolbar. My toolbars consist of only things that I use. I always change c-planes and rotate. For the five times a year that I have to do that, I can do it quicker than figure out the latest method AND remember to use it.

RE: pre-selecting, then selecting the wrong icon and losing your selection on exit...I could be wrong here because I'm going from memory, but when you realize you've selected the wrong icon, try hitting Esc once to back you out of it and see if you still have your selection. If so, you're golden. Otherwise, my advice would be to build safeguards into your process. For example, I never, and I mean NEVER, select points to drill/ream/bore/tap holes. I ALWAYS use the "entity" option when selecting holes, that way I can't accidentally snap to the quadrant or midpoint or whatever. I don't care if there are two hole, it's "entity-window." It ALWAYS finds the center of the hole.

As far as selection goes, I rarely have a selection that I can't pick pretty darn quick with any combination of chain manager, quick mask, window (maybe even from the front view or whatever), all-menu, invert-selection, and Alt+E. So, if something does get jazzed up with improper icon selection, I can re-select it with minimal work. Occasionally, I'll have something that is a tedious selection, so my safeguard is to use Alt+E once I have everything selected. That way, no matter what happens, I can always window everything again to get my selection back. When I know it's right, I'll just Alt+E again to get everything back on the screen. This kind of stuff has been so engrained into the way I do things that I don't even think about it any more, it's just how I do it.

So do you know how to use the tool I spoke of / just wondering.

Yeah, I have used it, but I haven't messed with it a lot.

You know, you can change your toolbars to be just the way you like them. I don't use it either so I removed it from my toolbar. My toolbars consist of only things that I use. I always change c-planes and rotate. For the five times a year that I have to do that, I can do it quicker than figure out the latest method AND remember to use it.

I have minimal toolbars on my screen as well. And each bar is customized. I don't use the Xform bar... I use the file menu for that one because I generally don't move things around too much after I get my setup figured out. Old dog, new tricks kinda thing ya know. I have been that way for years with Photoshop, Autocad, Dreamweaver, etc. And I rotate my parts the same as you.

RE: pre-selecting, then selecting the wrong icon and losing your selection on exit...I could be wrong here because I'm going from memory, but when you realize you've selected the wrong icon, try hitting Esc once to back you out of it and see if you still have your selection.

ESC clears your selection as well.

As far as selection goes, I rarely have a selection that I can't pick pretty darn quick with any combination of chain manager, quick mask, window (maybe even from the front view or whatever), all-menu, invert-selection, and Alt+E.

I am good with all the selection techniques. I love Mastercam's intersect, in+, out+ etc. I use the polygonal selection tool a lot as well. I learned years ago in Photoshop that being able to select things well is the key. So I have no trouble there. I use levels, groups, and all the other things to seperate my entities for faster re-selection. And the "Hide Entity" button is worn out on my toolbar ;)

But there are times when it still takes time to select entities in a model. And there are times when clicking each entity is the only way you are going to select them. Especially some of the models we get. I just think that until you perform the command on something it should remain selected. Nothing should ever de-select without me de-selecting it or doing something to it to make it a "Result".

I know if I pick my command first, then select my geometry I could solve this dilemma. But I never do it that way. The order I do things is the way you have to do them in other programs. You can't pick a command in Photoshop and have it ask you what to perform the command on. It just doesn't work that way. Photoshop won't even let you select most commands until you select something. A lot of other software is that way as well. So to learn to do it in reverse after 20+ years of using other types of software just isn't going to happen.

3. when you have xform translate 3d (or whatever) window open, just hit the green check without changing anything... i.e. from top to top... the selected entities will turn purple(unless you changed your default xform result color) then in the general selection bar, click "all" and in the window that pops up, click the xform result button at the top.

HTH!

And yeah, I saw this. I will try to start doing this. This is just a work-around though because it still requires another step. Because after clicking the wrong command you have to select ALL>>>Xform Result. Then Xform>>>Translate. If the entities just remained selected I could just go Xform>>>Translate. So yes, that works. But my solution is still faster.

I just think that until you perform the command on something it should remain selected. Nothing should ever de-select without me de-selecting it or doing something to it to make it a "Result".

I hear ya. It used to be that way when X first came out. They actually had an "unselect" button. Then everyone bitched because in V9, they were used to beating the xxxx out of the Esc key to clear everything out, so they put it back in in one of the SP updates that if you hit Escape, it cleared your selection too. I bitched about it back then, but aparently it wasn't enough to change their mind. :( That was about six major releases ago so I don't think it's coming back.

Wow. I see you have already been down this road. Interesting that they haven't fixed this. Of course I figured they would fix it by X2 so I never said anything. Then X3 came along and I thought they would fix it in X4. Etc. So here I am. There are worse things to complain about. But right now I can't think of any.

"For example, I never, and I mean NEVER, select points to drill/ream/bore/tap holes. I ALWAYS use the "entity" option when selecting holes, that way I can't accidentally snap to the quadrant or midpoint or whatever. I don't care if there are two hole, it's "entity-window." It ALWAYS finds the center of the hole."

A few guys at my place were thought by less than adequate MC operators. 1st thing they start doing is deleting the hole dia's in the drawing they receive and any 3d entities that may be present. ( to dumb to set the chaining options to 2d) If they start a drawing, they use points. This is because the default for selecting holes grabs the point without selecting the entities tab. Almost as if the word entities was Greek. Seriously pi$$e$ me off. They ask about circle milling or helix bore, I make them draw the dia's again before I show them anything. Call me over for help on a tool path and you better have enough info in the MC file to describe the part, or else the tongue lashing begins. They can't use the level manager, think in 3d space or use any other view than top. Extending geo instead of using lead-in / out irks me just as badly. Ok, enough ranting.

Learn how to use the level manger and copy, change entities colors, and use the masking features prior to making a big move during xform or any other feature for that matter.

"For example, I never, and I mean NEVER, select points to drill/ream/bore/tap holes. I ALWAYS use the "entity" option when selecting holes, that way I can't accidentally snap to the quadrant or midpoint or whatever. I don't care if there are two hole, it's "entity-window." It ALWAYS finds the center of the hole."

A few guys at my place were thought by less than adequate MC operators. 1st thing they start doing is deleting the hole dia's in the drawing they receive and any 3d entities that may be present. ( to dumb to set the chaining options to 2d) If they start a drawing, they use points. This is because the default for selecting holes grabs the point without selecting the entities tab. Almost as if the word entities was Greek. Seriously pi$$e$ me off. They ask about circle milling or helix bore, I make them draw the dia's again before I show them anything. Call me over for help on a tool path and you better have enough info in the MC file to describe the part, or else the tongue lashing begins. They can't use the level manager, think in 3d space or use any other view than top. Extending geo instead of using lead-in / out irks me just as badly. Ok, enough ranting.

Learn how to use the level manger and copy, change entities colors, and use the masking features prior to making a big move during xform or any other feature for that matter.

I use circle geometry also but never use window because I like it to drill the holes

in a specific order. I right click the circle/center snap and it only select circles (one at a time mind you)

until I am done with that command. I only ever have to select 10 to 50 ejection holes

at the end of tool pathing a mold half, so its not a big deal how long it takes, for me.

But it is accurate for 7 year now... ;)

Rickster, I use the same selection method, all the time. I like to pick the hole positions in the order I want to drill them, and Window never gives me the results I need, unless the holes are in some kind of order.

I've been doing it that way for many years now :)

I'm Currently Running X5 MU1, so im not certain if these things are added on X6, but the main things I want to see are the tree style format for older surfacing toolpaths, and better integration of holders into mastercam. I have got holders working quite well at the moment, but it is a bit of stuffing around. It would also be handy to have speed and feed changes available for finishing Depth and Finishing Wall Passes in 2D contour.

Also, I really love the Holderlib.dll chook, but it would be great if this holder management was in the main Mastercam interface somewhere? Like built into a toolbar or something. Is there any way I can create a shortcut to a specific chook like that?

Brendan

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me why using translate 3D is any better then Dynamic Xform?

While I think dynamic xform is the best thing since sliced bread....

When you want to move everything from one plane to another, translate 3d is faster than dynamic.

My toolbars consist of only things that I use.

Key mapping FTW.

so my safeguard is to use Alt+E once I have everything selected. That way, no matter what happens, I can always window everything again to get my selection back. When I know it's right, I'll just Alt+E again to get everything back on the screen.

Nice Thad, that's slick!

This is just a work-around for when you eff up though because it still requires another step.

Added a few words for a.....

Welcome to the forum fiss!

:cheers:

3. When I spend 10 minutes selecting entities then click XFORM>>>TRANSLATE 3D and close the dialog because I meant to click XFORM>>>TRANSLATE all of those entities I had selected de-select. It really sucks that I have to re-select all those entities again. Keep the entities selected until you actually do something to them.

In X6 (and possibly X5 too), you can pick up your last selection again, even if you bailed out of Translate 3D as you describe. In the General Selection ribbon bar (which I call the All and Only bar!) there is a square button with a blue arrow, pointing right-to-left. So lets say you've selected all your entities and then gone into Translate 3D. Now you press escape since it was the wrong command. At this point if you press the small blue arrow the system will re-select your geometry... now you can go to the correct Xform command :)