Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best mag base money can buy?

Bob W.

I am looking for recommendations for a top quality magnetic base set, something that looks and feels like it was made by a machinist and not some dude overseas with a hand drill, sawsall, and angle grinder.  These have become such a commodity item that it seems impossible to find good ones anymore.  They are sloppy pieces of crap.

• Like 1

I have a wack of Noga universal bases in varying sizes. I would say about 80-90% of the ones we get in are good. Starret is about 100% junk in this arena these days. I had an old Starret universal base that was awesome, one of my employees ran it over with the forklift, I literally bought about 4 or 5 replacements, none of them would lock up solid enough to use a tenths indicator.

Just like Joe, I have a Noga that I bought about ten years ago. It has seen every end of the shop and been through most things imaginable* and it still works like new. I've seen people buy the "knock-off" brands that look like the Noga and they were a disappointment.

*except for being run over by a forklift.

• Like 1

Just found out Noga clocking attachments don't like 5000rpm. It flew apart (surprise), but I put it back together and is still fine. More than I can say for the clock. I've had the Noga base and clocking attachment for years and use them all day every day (first time one has been abused). Only way to go (genuine Noga's) but not at 5K revs (still mad at myself)

• Like 1

Just found out Noga clocking attachments don't like 5000rpm. It flew apart (surprise), but I put it back together and is still fine. More than I can say for the clock. I've had the Noga base and clocking attachment for years and use them all day every day (first time one has been abused). Only way to go (genuine Noga's) but not at 5K revs (still mad at myself)

I spun my $800 3D taster at 5k once. Luckily all it broke was the tip (which are $80 each) but I had to wash my shorts three times to get the stain out.