Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

styles of dynamic milling

mig

I'd also like to know how long the tool lasts with each method, I assume the fastest/lightest cutting method is the best choice regarding tool life. Many of the jobs in my shop have been programmed using "old" conventional methods (2d pocket etc) and changing them to use dynamic milling has reduced the lead time significantly.

• Like 1

guys, i use mastercam for almost everything, but.....

i utilise hypermill for my 5 axis trochoidal milling, the link below will give a small preview

Seco Jabro 20 dia, 160 mtrs/min, 38mm deep, 5mm stepover, and 1.25mm/rev, this female compressor screw was finished in 2 hours, and i got 6 rotors from the one tool.

https://youtu.be/H-TLl37SQJI

i utilise hypermill for my 5 axis trochoidal milling, the link below will give a small preview

Seco Jabro 20 dia, 160 mtrs/min, 38mm deep, 5mm stepover, and 1.25mm/rev, this female compressor screw was finished in 2 hours, and i got 6 rotors from the one tool.

https://youtu.be/H-TLl37SQJI

Nice! On a side note Mastercam can do very similar motion to what I seen in your video with a simple 2D Peel mill toolpath using axis substitution. not that is matters and it seems like you got the job done very nicely, Just something to consider since sometimes people forget Mastercam has axis sub paths that are much more powerful than most would expect, especially since axis substitution is included with mill and mill3d even if you don't have a mastercam multi-axis license. Plus then you wont have to bounce back and forth between that hypermill and Mastercam and you can just stick with the good stuff ;)Here's a pic of what I am talking about

2_D_peel_with_Axis_substitution.png

• Like 1

Do you mean something like this:

Yes it was all done in Mastercam. Where our group with all the different people help a company improve their process and become more competitive.

• Like 4

yea, master

thanks for the info Josh, i will give this a try,when  i showed my re-seller, the hypermill path, he contacted CNC software, to see if Mastercam could do anything similar, but i have had no reply.

That's strange, but yea Mastercam can, I used a peelmill with axis substitution on one of my bladed projects and from rons video it looks like he probably was using the multi-axis Roughing toolpath set to dynamic.

yea, master

That's strange, but yea Mastercam can, I used a peelmill with axis substitution on one of my bladed projects and from rons video it looks like he probably was using the multi-axis Roughing toolpath set to dynamic.

Nope that was before that toolpath even existed. I did that will Axis Sub and Peel Mill. Took a 10 hour process and reduced it down to 1 hour. You go to our website and you can see the finishing on that impeller.

• Like 1

hello everybody .

Here is the different styles of dynamic milling  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgQvsG5Omq4

I don't see any  difference except step over and few another cutting parameters . 

Any one using "power" mode ? And how to choose cutting parameters for it ?

"power milling" is the concept of using the dynamic tool path but with a large step down and step over to remove large volumes of material quickly. Is only applicable to high rigidity and horse power machines. Good alternative to the high efficiency approach if your machine has limited high feed ability but plenty of power and is rigid.

Well that is how it was explained to us at a Mastercam reseller run demo last month.

How do you guys figure out what your stepover is going to be with dynamic milling? I've used the dynamic paths quite a bit, but I'm always shooting in the dark on speeds/feeds/stepover because I don't know what I'm doing. What I'm using works, but I just guessed based on a sample provided, though I'm sure it's less than optimal.

• Like 1

How do you guys figure out what your stepover is going to be with dynamic milling? I've used the dynamic paths quite a bit, but I'm always shooting in the dark on speeds/feeds/stepover because I don't know what I'm doing. What I'm using works, but I just guessed based on a sample provided, though I'm sure it's less than optimal.

Me too. When I went to mcam training at CCS Brian recommended starting at 12% of diameter step over and that has always stuck in my head. I'll usually start there and see how it runs then go for more if it will take it. It will pretty much always take it, I've never had to back down.

Me too. When I went to mcam training at CCS Brian recommended starting at 12% of diameter step over and that has always stuck in my head. I'll usually start there and see how it runs then go for more if it will take it. It will pretty much always take it, I've never had to back down.

Wow! I make small parts so I do most of my ruffing with a 3/8 end mill. I've been doing a .012 stepover. 12% would be a .045 stepover. :w00t:

Any recommendations on RPM?

Thanks jlw! :cheers:

HSM Advisor, the older Helical Endmill speeds/feeds calculator, and the emastercam HSM database are all good places to get speeds, feeds, and stepovers 

Thanks civicegg. Just downloaded HSM Advisor.

Isn't the emastercam HSM database the project that Chris Rizzo (may he RIP) was heading up?

Wow! I make small parts so I do most of my ruffing with a 3/8 end mill. I've been doing a .012 stepover. 12% would be a .045 stepover. :w00t:

Any recommendations on RPM?

Thanks jlw! :cheers:

All depends on Material,  I use 15 - 20% on Aluminum and 10-16% on soft steel.