Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TIME SAVERS

Incogneeto

Hello all, I'm Lucky to work for a great company and a great boss who has just invested in Mastercam. And I'm trying to make it payoff as quickly as possible.

So have had my head immersed in MCX7 and completed a couple courses. And of course I'm leaning all over this site and watching the respect and phenomenal help.

Have been machining for 35 years So no pup but always looking for the next or better idea on time saving with mastercam. The basics are I have set up a library and my tooling for the work we do it is fairly basic most times with the occasional 3D thrown in. We make electric motors so lots of cast aluminum and similar properties. Have hooked up DNC through to the machine (just one for R and D) So (god will he ever get to the point!!!) :guitar: Was just fishing for ideas. On setting up Mastercam for Speed!!! :scooter:

ANY IDEAS????

Tool libraries, template files, models of fixture components or vises are all good things to have so they can be imported in to each file as you need them so you don't reinvent the wheel each time.

+1. Also, 3d connexion device and a ton of practice. I would see if they will let you take the hasp home and spend your free time just dick'n around with the software.

Mike

My advice would be to concentrate on accuracy, and learning how to make the tools do exactly what you want them to do. The speed will come naturally with time.

jm2c. :p

With that being said, all of the above are great suggestions to speed things up.

I would also suggest learning the keyboard shortcuts, and customizing your right click menu for the things that you use most often.

Export / import operations into similar part files (just right click in the operation manager and click export) this can save someone a ton of time, especially with how repetitive certain things can be, like tapping, typically we have what 4 operations (give or take on tools etc), center drill, tap drill, chamfer, tap. Do the tapping cycle on one program then export them under a name that makes sense then anytime you see that size thread in future parts simply import them and select geo and you are all set and ready to go. Ofcoarse this is just one example, the sky is the limit and you can export almost any toolpath that you feel you want to use again.

Another thing i find that helps is using transform operations (cant use them everywhere). It still supprises me how few people know about or use the transform operation but its very powerful and should be in any mcam users think tank. Can use this operation to copy toolpaths to new locations (transform), Rotate a toolpath around a bolt circle or index a 4th or 5th axis (rotate), and the final option with the transform is Mirror which is great if you are making a left and right hand part (mirror).

Setup sheets are useful, not much from a mastercam standpoint but for an operator and you have many to choose from as well as many setup sheet add ons, and the active reports type are customize able.

Last but not least, learn your keyboard shortcuts as others have stated! in my opinion the more i can do with my left hand on the keyboard the less i have to click with the mouse. default shortcuts can be found here "C:\Program Files\mcamx7\documentation --> MCAMX7_Quick_Ref_Card.PDF"

Put some time and thought into setting up your tools correctly along with your operation defaults. Go to the tool manufacturer's web site and look of the correct speed, feed, and step over for the tools and get those set into the tool parameters. Also, set the lead-in/ lead-out and other operation defaults to what you like so you minimize the amount of work you need to do on every operation. When I am creating normal operations (drilling, contour, etc...) there are only a few screens I even look at, basically chaining, setting the depth and top of stock and that's it. I can set up these operations in a few seconds because my defaults are dialed in, no dicking around with speeds and feeds or any other tool info unless I am doing something unusual. It also greatly reduces mistakes and oversights. When setting up a new machine create new default files for that machine unless it is pretty much the same make and model of machine.

I also created a master tool library that has every tool I have available in it. I have smaller libraries that are project specific (molds, etc...) where I can just import the entire library into the project and I'm ready to go, but a master library is important ad that is what I draw from when working on a project.

Create a good tool list setup sheet so when your program is done you can quickly produce a tool list for the setup guy. X+ makes one that is fantastic and I believe it is free. I don't have a like handy but it should be pretty easy to find.

Also, the level manager and view manager are your best friends. Learn how to use them and use them well. I know of people that still create separate files for each operation of a part. HUGE waste of time... Level manager will help to keep things from getting cluttered, keep revisions straight, and general good housekeeping and the view manager will allow you to set coordinate systems and offsets for additional setups.

Also, the level manager and view manager are your best friends. Learn how to use them and use them well. I know of people that still create separate files for each operation of a part. HUGE waste of time... Level manager will help to keep things from getting cluttered, keep revisions straight, and general good housekeeping and the view manager will allow you to set coordinate systems and offsets for additional setups.

Good point Bob, and to add to Bob's suggestion, ViewSheets are awesome to use in conjunction with levels and views, planes, etc. I would suggest them for any complex job, simple jobs they may not be needed but when you start building a pile of levels and views they are great.

Everybody has great suggestions and it's true speed comes with time. The best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. Soon enough you'll have your favorite toolpaths and ones you avoid and it all becomes second nature.

The things I find most critical for my efficiency are levels, WCS View Manager, and colors.

Levels for keeping things organized and quickly hiding/ unhiding geometry, solids, stock, etc

View Manager for moving around the different planes

Colors for highlighting specific parts of geometry that I know I'm going to be working with a lot.

One thing that I seem to do differently is I have almost every toolbar possible (that I use) on my screen at all times. I don't find it cluttered and knowing I'm only a quick mouse move away from what I need makes things fast.

Oh, yeah, and A TRACKBALL.

... typically we have what 4 operations (give or take on tools etc), center drill, tap drill, chamfer, tap.

If you spot them deep enough in the first place (we use spot drills, not center drills), it eliminates the chamfer op. ;)

... and the final option with the transform is Mirror which is great if you are making a left and right hand part (mirror).

...assuming the mirror feature works. Maybe they have fixed it, but It has been broken for MANY versions (going back to V9?).

Just my 2 cents on Josh's excellent recommendations.

Thad

To expand on Bob Wolcott's recommended use of defaults files, I say you're better off using operations libraries. Ops libraries are defaults files on steriods. I'm quite certain that you'd use a 2" insert cutter to mill a big pocket different than you'd use a 3/16" end mill to rough a small pocket. That's where ops libraries come into play. Defaults files don't allow for that, but ops libraries do! They kind of accomplish the same thing, but an ops library is more robust since it allows for more variation. Attached are a few screen shots of my ops library.

On another note, I have standard level names that I use for every file. I have them saved as a .CSV file and I import the level names by right clicking in the levels manager and "Get level names" (I don't recall the exact verbage at this time). In about 4 clicks, I have all of my standard levels named.

Lastly, I use A Form Filler (see my sig) to click buttons, check checkboxes, click "OK" on things that I ALWAYS answer the same. I have 12-15 things set up for A Form Filler to do for me in the blink of an eye. "Do you want to retain depths on merged drill points?" "Are you sure you want to launch another session of Mastercam?" Do I really have to click "OK" when the dialog box "3 operations imported successfully" pops up? Or "36 arcs have been moved to a new view" when using combine views? Not anymore! A Form Filler does it for me. I haven't seen any of those dialog/confirmation boxes in years thanks to A Form Filler!

Thad

post-2305-0-82337700-1398475299_thumb.png

post-2305-0-44101800-1398475309_thumb.png

post-2305-0-93174200-1398475323_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thad, that post made me laugh out loud :-) I laughed because I have been at this for 8 years, which I know isn't really all that long in the grand scheme of things and your post just gave me a $hitload of information to research and learn. I love this forum! Things to learn about ASAP: Viewsheets (thanks JoshC), operation libraries, and .CSV files. I feel like I am about to make another big leap in efficiency and I'm pretty happy about it. Another thing I really need to learn more about is the material manager. For a long time 95% of my work has been in aluminum so material libraries wouldn't have given me much of a boost. With the Makinos I am doing more and more steel and diverse materials so it is probably time to really put some work into that area. Any good posts or resources that explain the material manager in depth?

I always use consistent names in the level manager and here is the generic list:

1000 XYZ part file rev0

1400 XYZ dimensions

1500 XYZ reference geometry

1510 XYZ masking surfaces

2000 XYZ raw stock

3000 XYZ op1 fixture

4000 XYZ op2 fixture

5000 tombstone

etc...

Pretty standard and it would be fantastic to make it completely standard and it would save time on a daily basis.

How exactly do you implement the operation libraries? A few years ago I wanted to set defaults specific to the chamfering contouring toolpath as opposed to a 2D contour, etc... I wanted more control over the specific variations of these toolpaths but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Is that an operation library capability?

• Like 1

Keep your levels and geometry well organized. That's was my biggest problem when I first stared programming ( and still is sometimes). Until your proficient in mastercam , you can really clutter up your screen with extra geometry you create trying to make toolpaths do what you want.

Do you guys have issues with imported ops functions not working in the new file? Things like "force tool change" "rapid retract" etc, for some reason sometimes when I import operations these and other functions simply do not work.

Sticky, do you import ops from another MC file or from an ops library? I import from both, though mainly from my ops library, and haven't noticed this problem. Not sure what version of MC you're using.

Thad

Bob,

I sent you a PM since the forum won't allow me to attach a .CSV file.

You can create/edit a .CSV file in Excel. The first column is the level number and the second column is the level name. I don't recall where you're supposed to put the file, but if you open the levels manager-right click-get level names...wherever that window opens up to, that's where you should put yours.

From then on, when you start a new MC file, the first time you open the levels manager-right click-get level names and double click on your .CSV file. You're levels will now be named.

Another way to have your standard level names already come in is to save a blank MC file with the levels named already. Then when you want to start a new file, open that template file and do a Save-as. The thing that I don't like about that is that I sometimes forget to Save-as and I write over my template file. Yeah, I know enough to keep a backup somewhere else, but it's still a pain. Also, I use the job and detail number as my MC file name (and as my posted toolpath name). Sometimes those names get long and it's easy to goof on the name when saving. Using a .CSV file allows me to NOT have to name the file myself AND still get my level names really quick. So that's the method that I use.

Thad

post-2305-0-64855800-1398649556_thumb.png

• Like 2

How exactly do you implement the operation libraries? A few years ago I wanted to set defaults specific to the chamfering contouring toolpath as opposed to a 2D contour, etc... I wanted more control over the specific variations of these toolpaths but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Is that an operation library capability?

Yes, that is exactly correct.

A defaults file allows you to save defaults for a single contour, pocket, drill, etc. toolpath. What if you want to save different defaults for a contour-ramp than a contour-remachine? That's where ops libraries shine. Not only can you save defaults for different contour toolpath types, but you can break it down even more by saving ops for different tools using different toolpath types! As you can see from my previous reply showing my ops library, I have 8 different "defaults" saved for pocketing alone. Each tool has it's own default. Since you would have different desires when using a 2" insert cutter than you would when you're using a 3/16 end mill, make an operation for each one that suits your needs. Sure, you have the option of using percentages on some fields (lead in/out, stepover, etc) and those are nice, but they don't always give you what you're looking for. Defining an operation for your library based on the tool (not toolpath type) gives you the most control in the least amount of time.

You can even take it a step further by setting values that aren't intended to be needed...just in case you need them. For example, if you want to cut a contour with a 3/8 end mill, you would import your 3/8 end mill 2D contour operation. You add the chain, edit the depths, clearance, etc and you're done. Now you need to contour-ramp an area with a 3/8 end mill. Rather than import another op, you already have your clearance planes, toolpath comments, etc setup from the previous op; why not just copy the op and reselect the chain? The key here is to already have the op saved with the contour-ramp settings that way you want them, even though they are disabled because it's saved as a 2D contour toolpath. So, thinking ahead when you originally create your 2D contour toolpath op, ask yourself, what settings would I want if I changed this to a contour-ramp? Or a contour-remachine? Well, enable that option, set it how you want, then disable it. That's how your operation should be saved in your library. Does that make sense? Lead in/out, extend/shorten (in leadin/out), lead in/out arc on/off, cut depths, stepover, EVERYTHING should be set how you want that tool to run so you can switch from 2D contour to contour-ramp and not even have to look at those pages and know they are right.

All of the above is just for general milling. As you can see, I also have groups of ops saved for all the different sizes of keys, reams, taps, c'bores, etc that I use. The spot drill depths in all of my drilling ops go deep enough to leave a .03 chamfer when done. No need to go back and chamfer, the spot drill does it in the first place.

That's all for now. Reply here, email, or PM me if you have any questions.

Thad