Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Father

MetalMarvels

My Dad passed away last night at the Camden-Clarke Hospital in Parkersburg, WV. Apparently it was a masssive heart attack - the staff worked on him for over 20 minutes. He has been in and out of the hospital many times over the past two years (more in that not it seems) and each trip to the hospital left him further down the road.

He was in this time for congestive heart failure and the accumulation of large amounts of fluids in his abdominal area. His last such attack was three weeks ago and they sent him to the Cleveland Clinic (one of the top 5 hospitals in the nation). I feel fortunate that I went to be with him during his stay in Cleveland and got to talk with him at length. It is tough to be 1700 miles from them at times like this.

He had made arrangements to be interred at Arlington National Cemetary. I don't know yet when that will occur. He retired as a Air Force Colonel and he was always proud to serve his country. Among the many decorations that he earned during his service to the United States, he was awarded the Bronze Star with oak leaf clusters, the Silver Star with bronze oak leaf clusters, and the Air Force Distinguished Flying Cross.

I have always been proud of my father, and I will miss him greatly.

Gary,

I'm very sorry to hear of your father's passing. May the good times and memories help ease the pain. Please accept my thanks for your father's service to our great country. A career military man and well decorated at that! I'll bet he had a chest full of "fruit salad." (That's a chest full of colorful ribbons/awards, for the non-military people.)

May he rest in peace.

Thad

Gary,

I, and my family, wish the Westfalls our deepest sympathy. Loosing family is always very hard. I am sure most of us have been through the same hollow pain.

Time will lessen the pain of your loss but, rest assured with the knowledge that his memories will live forever in your heart.

Phil

Gary,

My prayers are with you, your family and his friends.

Sound like your father was a great man. Is his story posted on the internet? I have a friend who had their father's letters to his wife published for all the history buffs to read and marval.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

Code-Breaker,

I have found some material on my Dad's service on the web. Some of the links are:

http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/classpics/hurlphot.htm He is in class "Express 36" He is the one on the lower far right. The Skyraider was his plaane of choice during the Vietnam conflict. He was shot down twice in action. I am hoping that his gun-camera film is still salveagable - I never could get him to let me try to preserve it.

While in Vietnam, he flew with the 603rd ACS. http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/spadgrup/wingrps.htm

He later commanded the 407th Air Refueling Squadron out of Loring AFB. http://www.bethpage.net/loring/407thhistory.htm

I remember him telling me stories about ferrying film from Florida to Washington during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

He will be buried at Arlington on 25 June at 9:00am. He chose to have the Standard honors rather than the full military honors - He said that he spent enough time behind a mule on the farm and had no desire to take his last ride behind one....