Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Other 3D Software Packages

TeccBoxx

I was wondering on other than MC, Solidworks, and ProE what other 3D packages do you guys see a lot of on a regular basis. Reason why I am asking I have one year left of school, I already have a good understanding of Pro Engineer, I am going for my certification in Solidworks next thursday, and plan on getting certified this winter in MC. However I have an oppurtunity to learn another software package before I graduate. So I was wondering if there are any particular packages you see a lot of whether it be 3D Max, Rhino, Maya, Lightwave, or any other 3D packages that might be out there?

All the best for your certefication Tazzer,

quote:

So I was wondering if there are any particular packages you see a lot of whether it be 3D Max, Rhino, Maya, Lightwave, or any other 3D packages that might be out there?

Except rhino none of these are very much usefull in accurate model designing, I mean I've been using these s/w's. I would recomend you to go for ug. Which in my opinion comes 2nd after mastercam. cheers.gifcheers.gif

I wouldn't rule out Autodesk Inventor. If it doesn't already it will soon rival SW for installed seats. It's my tool of choice but by no means the cure all end all CAD tool.

You may also consider what market you are intending to work in. If you are going into aerospace/aviation. CATIA is very embedded. I'm sure automotive or what ever else also has it's particular tool. This aproach may yield the best return on your time. I can't say I have ever heard anything bad about RHINO and the price you mention earlier is real good. Good luck.

Rhino awesome!

I find combining Rhino and MC works well for me. I've had Rhino for a couple months now and am very impressed with it. I haven't been able to spend as much time using it as I would like. But right off the bat, its 3D designing powers are very evident. Some designs I make in MC only and some in Rhino only. Others I combine the two. I like building 3D wireframes in MC, exporting it to Rhino, tweaking some of the wireframe if needed, and then create the surfs in Rhino.

Rhino's surfacing powers are fantastic, but MC can make a surface or two and pretty good at that!

quote:

You mean like verify?

No, it's not a CAM. I'm not familiar with renderers, but here's what I know about it. You can create rendered images with complex textures/materials/environment/.. with Flamingo.

quote:

If it's an addon, does Rhino come with a renderer?

It's the main Rhino's Renderer addon. And you should buy it separate from Rhino. Although you can use other renderers , like Penguin or use external renderers too.

HTH

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flamingo is Rhino's main renderer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like verify?

Is Flamingo an addon, or does it come with Rhino? If it's an addon, does Rhino come with a renderer?

Not so much a verify but a tool to make your 3D model look like a picture or photo. You can add background, textures, highlights and save as a JPEG or BMP.

Rhino has a renderer, Flamingo is an addon with more features. I believe Maya is one of the best renderers.

I like Mastercam with Rhino, can model most anything.

cheers.gif

Has Rhino got a website?

The designers used to have Rhino (it came with Solid Edge) where I used to work and noboby ever used it much. That is a real shame because they couldn't design any complicated surfaces with Solid Edge yet they had a good surfacing tool right under their noses.

Are there different levels of Rhino?

ARP