Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

whats the going wages around the country

Gary

Bucket,

You need to tell us how you got your wife to get a job. Everytime I get married the first thing new wife does is quit job.

Jimmy

ps Current wife quit to take care of our girls and started driving school bus this year as youngest started kindergarden.

[ 01-03-2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy Wakeford, from Barefoot CNC ]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

You need to tell us how you got your wife to get a job.

Jimmy,

She has been with her company for 16 yrs.

No free-riders over here!

She wants $$,she'll have to work for it.

My 'ol lady would be even more miserable if she didn't work! eek.gif

quote:

You need to tell us how you got your wife to get a job. Everytime I get married the first thing new wife does is quit job.

I have your solution.....

Stop getting married! wink.gif

I should talk...

I married my wife twice!!!! eek.gifeek.gif

quote:

I don't see any michiganders admitting their wage

As I mentioned in a different thread a while back...

quote:

As far as programmers/machinists, $18-$22 and highly skilled up to $26.

And it still applies today.

Thad

[ 01-03-2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

I am from Israel and all my friends that

are basicly of my experience approx.10 years

working as machinists or programmers getting 12.5-15$ per hour .

Well ,starting programmer or machinist can get

8$ or less .

Well ,the North Israel ,where Elad from ,notorious for low wages .

Nothing much has changed up north in michigan either I make upper teens hourly and low 20's with bonuses and thats programming and quoting all cnc related jobs plus cranking handles if the cnc's are on long cycle times. A few guys making 60-70k a year but are desinging molds as well as programming. thats why i'm in school now at 27 working on a design degree. All shops about the same in area and they stick together pretty well. The company contributes 15% for retirement though so I stay.

Our setup guys out in the shop make $21.5 (union). Some do setups and some deburing all at the same rate. I'm on $76,000 doing 5% programming and 95% engineering 35-40 hrs/week.

Avarage 3br home goes for $325,000. We are one hour from Manhattan. Same home five years ago was selling for 190,000 (coworker bought it and did refinacing this year) This real estate bubble has to pop sooner or later. We have 400 imployees at this location (18 facitlities in US) and most of them work for around $12/hr. I don't know how any of them can afford a home in here. It's hard for me.

I agree with CNCme about paying good people. The job I am at now is paying me very well for the area I'm in (NW Alabama), but not because they want to, because I showed them I am worth it! They made promises when I hired in and when I did the job they didn't want to live up to the deal. I got out and got a good offer from a competitor and then they had to get right. Most companies will try to pay as little as you will work for to maximize profit ( I guess I would too). But if you are good enough they will pay. cool.gif

the company i work for is an oem of pharmacutical pakaging machines in the southern part of new jersey outside of philadelphia and about and one and a half hours from new york and we pay the trainees about 9 to 11$$ the mid level guys they set up and programe some 15 to 18$$ and us top guys we setup ,fixtures advanced programming and lead the team 25 and up$$$ with about 10 hrs of overtime and other good perks ive been here 15 years and ive looked around in the past but nothing is any better

It would interesting if you mentioned if those wages included an apprenticeship or not.

I did a career change, started in the CNC business at 30, going to tech college for a technical degree in machine tooling. I've been with my current employer 3.5 years, and only just now am getting $15 an hour, and might get 18 in one year. No apprenticeship. Everyone in the shop does mastercam. This is in southern WI. A good 3bdrm home would cost around $200K. Last year, they were running 150-175K.

John

quote:

It would interesting if you mentioned if those wages included an apprenticeship or not.

It makes no difference. These days, a Journeyman's card means very litte. Unions, such as UAW, pass them out like they're candy on Halloween. As a matter of fact, when I see a resume touting a Journeyman's card, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect out of that person. We'll leave it at that. Don't get me started on union shops. wink.gif

Thad teh UAW = U Ain't Workin'

[ 01-05-2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

hey thad,

What about those guys that got their journeyman's card from a non union shop? I worked like a son of a gun to get my T&D card and while I would have to agree that it hasn't been worth much either prestige wise or money wise I'm pretty darn sure I have a handle on what I'm doing..

seen that, right outa high school when I started at a local family owned shop. anyone going for there J card as a toolmaker was just waiting for the GM job. that was early '80s. Flint Truck and Bus was big time then and most guys dreamed for the job. Not me, I didnt want to become a number. I still see some of those guys now and then. most got screwd. GM in Flints not doing so well. A lot of em arnt even doing toolmaker work anymore. they are labled as machine repair. Which means anything that touches a prodution part they mantain it. tear it down and take it to the toolroom and someone else fixes it.

Location, location, location. I lived up by Detroit and was making $30 an hour, moved to the country and now driving 40 miles each way to work in Jackson, and the best shops in this area don't pay over $25. I can move to where the big companys are and make more money, go figure.

Edit: Cost of living is cheaper here in the country.

[ 01-06-2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: RandyN ]

Well I saw a lot of people from all over the country, but no one from the great state of Washington reporting in, so I guess I will. Most journey level machinist's make high teens very low twenty's. That's with over ten years exp. too. Work up here is dictated by the big kite shop (Boeing) and right now it is slow for sure. I have been using MC for years, and as others have said employers are not paying like they should, as a direct result here a lot of companys that I and other journey level people used to work for have gone under because they let thier talent walk out to get better pay somewhere else. Leaving them with 1,2, and 3 year rookies at the machines. A very sad situation indeed here in Washington. After the Sept. 11th attacks I got the lay off slip and was out of work for 8 months before a job finally came down the pipe for me. Worked it for almost a year before I had enough of thier B.S. Now I work for a small shop that is inside a large company. They are independent, but do all the machine work for this Co. and in return only have to pay rent for the space, electricity is included! I am programing and setting up a Mori 40 taper Horizontal with MC 7.2b and they are paying me 23.00 an hour which is pretty damn good for around here! So whatever you guys do don't fall into the I need to move to Washington because Boeing is there syndrome. The pay is bad considering I have been making hourly in the low 20's for the last six years, makes me want to find other things to do. Ok putting my soap box away now wink.gifcheers.gif

quote:

I worked like a son of a gun to get my T&D card and while I would have to agree that it hasn't been worth much either prestige wise or money wise I'm pretty darn sure I have a handle on what I'm doing..

jbel,

Good for you! The whole purpose of the Journeyman's card is to provide you with years of training on a wide variety of applications so that you can "do everything." It sounds like you made out well. Good job. You're probably the exception, not the rule. cheers.gif

Thad