Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Done with X

oh brother

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two programmers refused to use X,they stay with V9 untill all the bugs fixed. Because thier nc file got "BIG CRASH" on the 5-Axis Machine, at the first time they used X

Reason: Tplane and Cplane is suck in X, When you pick up new Tplane, It change The Origin X0 Y0 Z0 and they didn't know.

This Topic cover the link below:

links

Qmp

-------

Unfourtunetly we are at the mercy of the software maker.I have been around Master Cam one way or the other since 1987 and have found every up grade to be benificial but I will tell you and challenge any one out there that a programmer with an equal amount of training on 9 or x can get the job done in about the same time.

I started using Mastercam with X2.

I never classify better of worse or like and hate.

It's just different, more or less efficient.

Coming off different software that I like

certain things better. Mastercam has great

Paths but...

No need to elabotate, like most ppl say, get use

to something and your don't have to like or hate it.

Just use it for what it is.

Everyone fluent in other softwares or older

versions could suggest a hundred enhancements.

But there are usully ways around the software that

have not yet been discovered.

Cimatron, the older 'I.T' version. talk about a

software to be turn off of. 1000 mouse clicks a

minute. (Why do I have carpel tunnel any how,

must have been in the last update)

X2/solids really does fine job, I am not even

1/2 way through it, Ive cut 10 moulds with it.

I say spend a week or 3 on it and reap the

benefits from it.

I will tell you and challenge any one out there that a programmer with an equal amount of training on 9 or x can get the job done in about the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Close to my words

I only say ver9 is faster .

Never mind ,x has a future .I only will wait to migrate in appropriate time .

In a meantime I play with it to be ready

Alex,

X is about more than fast.

Maybe you don't do the kind of work that takes advantage of all the added features in X2 but just a couple of Rev updates on serious parts and the advantage of X2 would quickly become evident.

IMHO, I believe that X is definately more powerful, and upgrading is just something you have to do to stay current. But I think that loosing the old V9 style side menu was a big loss. Granted it was an arcaick(spelling?) remnant of DOS, but it was really quite efficient(for keystrokers). Just hit the capitalized letter, and even though a lot of comands were buried, you could blow through them just as quickly as finding a button to click. A problem I've got right now is the new shop I moved to keeps a tight grip on their system. Which means all installs are supposed to be the same, which means know customization. So now I have to go hunting for those stupid little icons instead of just using a few keystrokes(alt+ the menu at the top just isn't the same either). And even a alot of hot keys have changed. At least with V9 you could sit down at any install and be just as productive. But this just means time learning the layout at hand. I would really like to see and "Old school menu" option, just an option, if it were possible. I know AutoCAD kept that around as an option you could turn on or off for years.

You guys ever go into a shop and see they are still using Genesis, or some other older outdated program?

Well, in the not too distant future that will be what a lot of people think about shops that are still using V9.

Old outdated and afraid of the new technology that has passed them by.

Sure maybe they can get a job done now but are they a supplier or customer that can grow with you.

Times change, people, companies and software move on.

quote:

Just hit the capitalized letter, and even though a lot of comands were buried, you could blow through them just as quickly as finding a button to click.

headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

You can still do that. You just have to PRESS and RELEASE the ALT key before you start.

For example:

ALT >> C >> L >> E

would bring you to the Create Line Endpoint ribbon bar.

It's pretty much exactly like it was except you have to hit the ALT and maybe some letters have changed...

Although for me it's easier to learn the location of a single icon than press all those keys but if you want to do it the hard way you certainly have that option.

I don't have any doubt that there are plenty

of old school V9 guys who can create geometry

jut as fast or faster than anybody can in X2,

but they have added toolpaths to X and X2 that V9 can't compete with.

The advanced 5X toolpaths are really sweet.

Just about anything you can do with advanced 5X, can be done "old school" in V9, but it may take 5 or 6 toolpaths to acheive the results of one advanced 5X path.

V9 cannot compete with the new high speed toolpaths. These toolpaths absolutely freaking' rock once you figure them out.

I guess you could buy V9 Cimco Highspeed, but

that's a whole bunch of money.

Then there is the simple stuff like the new improved thread mill. If you do a lot of thread milling, its worth learning X just for that.

The main reason to learn X is to stay current though. Good V9 guys can still get good jobs, but

as time goes by, more and more shops will insist

on guys current in X.

Although I have not used v9.0 I have to agree

it nice to see that Mastercam is using these

new highspeed paths to get caught up with

the competition.

I have gotten totally used to those types of

paths 3 or 4 yrs now. I would think that MC

will continually improve and tweak them.

As for the interface, it not the easiest one

but it is up in the top 3 that I have used, IMO.

I still think it's funny that the guy that started this, threw all you a bone and is now gone.

I don't, like most that made the transition agree with the post. But we can show him or maybe her to it but can not make that person like it.

But as a LONNNGGG time user it was a hard thought to move over. but once I jumped in it was great and still have to go back to V9 to help the ones that have not tested the waters yet.

But like most.when they do, most come to like it.

JM2c