Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

8:48 with my old Dell 690 (Xeon [email protected], 3Go RAM, Quadro FX550)

My IT manager is about to upgrade my system to a Dell T3500 (Xeon [email protected], 6Go, Quadro 4000).

Will it improve processsing significantly? May I will be able to verify/save large STL quickly (above 50Mo)?

Or should I ask an effort... more RAM and/or better CPU ?

"My IT manager is about to upgrade my system to a Dell T3500 (Xeon [email protected], 6Go, Quadro 4000).

Will it improve processsing significantly? May I will be able to verify/save large STL quickly (above 50Mo)?

Or should I ask an effort... more RAM and/or better CPU ?"

The time stated with the dell 690, xeon 5110 is abnormally slow. You should be around 3 minutes, give or take, with that comp. It sounds like other factors are slowing you down. If those same elements are introduced into your new set up, you'll replicate the same speed restrictions to some degree. All things being equal, the new computer should run circles around the old one. IMO, get a second CPU (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819117243) and more ram as most CAD/CAM apps are gearing up to use all CPU cores simultaneously. Think of it as insurance against pre-mature obsolescence.

X6 is in beta now and should be able to take advantage of all those cores, with all tool paths, all the time. Perhaps the beta testers could shed some light here without getting penalized.

This what I get from a stock Dell Precision M6400

Time to process - 1min 52sec - McamX6

laptop/desktop - it's a laptop

CPU & speed - Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.54 GHz

Operation System - Win 7 32bit OS

RAM & RAM speed - 4.00GB

Time to process - 2min 3.8sec - McamX5 MU1

• 2 weeks later...

Deleted all files in regen folder and came up with 2:40

Dell Vostro 410

Core 2 Duo E4600 (2.4ghz conroe core)

4GB DDR2 800mhz (Windows is only showing about 3.2GB)

Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200rpm 8MB SATA HDD

XP Pro x32 (SP2 with PAE)

Quadro 600 1GB ram

X5 MU1

I though it would be much worse. Still going to get a new rig for me and the other programmer. Also going to get 3 workstations for the engineers to run MC Design w/Solids, but I won't be putting as much money into their systems. Haven't decided if I'll build them myself so future upgrades will be easier or buy'm from Solidbox or Dell. For the programmers I want quality dual screens for each, and the engineers will each get a new screen, and possibly have a second.

Any idea's on some screens? Programmers I'm thinking dual 22" Dell pro LCD's (would like bigger, but there's no room on the desks). All out files and most of the software is on our Terminal Server, so we all need to log in to view prints and create our setup and tool sheets. The only software installed on local pc's is MC. The server would cast her withers if I tried running just one instance of MC on it.

Without knowing what you guys do there, I can only speculate, but...

"and the engineers will each get a new screen, and possibly have a second."

Dual monitors for engineering and programming! I can't imagine doing anything without dual monitors except for data transfers at the machines. Things flow so much smoother. I have dual 22" at work, dual 23" at home. Cheap ACER's but decent none the less. I paid almost twice as much for my wife's single 23" HP2310M and I start drooling every time I look at it. I wish I had held out a little longer and and purchased two of those HP's for myself.

"Also going to get 3 workstations for the engineers to run MC Design w/Solids, but I won't be putting as much money into their systems."

IMO, this sounds backwards to me. I can't understand the long term benefits of pulling three engineers into the MC realm. IMO, get the engineering dept. some actual modeling software, better comps, and dual monitors. I've seen some really nice models in this forum created with MC Design w/Solids but it is fairly weak compared to most mid level CAD apps and was never intended to compete in that realm. Most customers also won't be using MC Design w/Solids, and therefore can not exchange data with a history, back and forth. All you'll be doing is exchanging "dumb" solids.

The programmers should be doing more programming and as little modeling as possible, helping to get the machines making chips. Often, these guys play multiple roles, engineering, design, tool path's and running a machine. They do need just as powerful a setup as anybody else might require.

In your scenario, it sounds like Solidworks standard, with MC4SW would be worth investigating. I'm guessing here but a true 64bit version of that should be available, if not now, very soon.

"Haven't decided if I'll build them myself so future upgrades will be easier or buy'm from Solidbox or Dell.

I've never seen a bad review on either the Solidbox configs or the OEM Dell's. The cases look nice and sturdy, the layout looks like it would be easy enough to upgrade/repair components if needed.

Deleted all files in regen folder and came up with 2:40

Dell Vostro 410

Core 2 Duo E4600 (2.4ghz conroe core)

4GB DDR2 800mhz (Windows is only showing about 3.2GB)

Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200rpm 8MB SATA HDD

XP Pro x32 (SP2 with PAE)

Quadro 600 1GB ram

X5 MU1

I though it would be much worse. Still going to get a new rig for me and the other programmer. Also going to get 3 workstations for the engineers to run MC Design w/Solids, but I won't be putting as much money into their systems. Haven't decided if I'll build them myself so future upgrades will be easier or buy'm from Solidbox or Dell. For the programmers I want quality dual screens for each, and the engineers will each get a new screen, and possibly have a second.

Any idea's on some screens? Programmers I'm thinking dual 22" Dell pro LCD's (would like bigger, but there's no room on the desks). All out files and most of the software is on our Terminal Server, so we all need to log in to view prints and create our setup and tool sheets. The only software installed on local pc's is MC. The server would cast her withers if I tried running just one instance of MC on it.

Mike,

Have you called the office and asked about getting a quote for one of our systems?

• 3 weeks later...

38.55 seconds!

sandy bridge OC'd to 4,700MHz 1.35v

p8p67 asus pro mobo

win7 64

OCZ sata3 SSD

about 1/2 the time of a q9550 oc to 3.8

HAHA! This proves that people buying the $5,000 + solidboxx computers are wasting their money.

Sandy Bridge FTW!

I'm getting a new pc here at work shortly, but I will post my sad, sad time here:

4 minutes 5 seconds LOL!

Here is my "Beast" of a computer tongue.gif

Dell Dimension 9150

Pentium D 2.8ghz

4gb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 7300LE

Win Xp Home

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but I have a quad core system that came preconfigured with hyperthreading on, so it behaved as though it had 8 cores. As we know, Mastercam's HST toolpaths can only utilize one core per toolpath so when I was regenerating this benchmark I was using 38% of my processing power with hyperthreading on. When I turned HT off my system now behaves as though it only has four cores and the same regeneration utilized 75% of my processing power. Needless to say, my time dropped by ~25% once HT was turned off. This is done in the BIOS settings which is usually accessed when the system is turned on by holding F2. If you decide to mess with your BIOS settings proceed carefully...

If you are regularly regenerating more than four HST toolpaths with a quadcore system then you should probably leave HT on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered this for use with MCX6 when it hits the ground. :D

Cannot wait!!

Dell Precision T3500 Dell Precision T3500, CMT, Standard Power Supply, C2 Motherboard

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English

Processor Quad Core Intel™ Xeon W3550 3.0GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s, Turbo

Memory 6GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, NECC (6 DIMMS)

Keyboard Dell Multimedia Pro Keyboard, with Palmrest

Monitor Dell Professional P1911 19in HAS Wide Monitor, VGA/ DVI

Graphics 1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 2000, Dual MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI

Boot Hard Drive 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache™

Hard Drive Configuration C1 All SATA drives, No RAID for 1 Hard Drive

Floppy Drive and Media Card Reader Options No Floppy Drive and No Media Card Reader

Mouse Dell® USB 6-Button Laser Mouse

chassis configuration Mini-Tower Chassis Configuration

CD-ROM, DVD and Read-Write Devices 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™/Roxio Creator™, No Media

Speakers No Speaker option

Documentation Documentation, English, with 125V Power Cord

Productivity Software No Productivity Software

Hard Drive Controller Integrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controller

Energy Efficiency Option No Energy Star

Resource DVD No Resource DVD

Hardware Support Services 3 Year ProSupport and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service

Security Software Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services, 30-days

Quick Reference Guide Quick Reference Guide, English

Shipping Packaging Options Shipping Material for System

System Recovery Resource DVD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers

System Recovery Recovery Media for Genuine Windows® 7 Professional,SP1,64bit,Multiple Language

• 2 weeks later...

Are these times being posted for the regen of the sample file at the beginning of this thread?

If so, then I am getting

1m 48.88s per the event logger

The verify aspect took 28 mins to run.

Is that too slow? I read that it should take approx. 7 mins to verify.

Here are my specs:

Dell Computer w/

Intel Core 2Quad CPU

Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

2.39 GHz, 3.25 GB Ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

Windows XP Pro

Service Pack 3

Running Mastercam X5 MU1

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...