Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I eliminate jerky movements?

CRFJim

I have a program that does an x-moxe and a z-move at the same time, and when I try to kick up the feed to a respectable level (80-100ipm) I get jerky, slow movements, as if the controller can't process the info fast enough. If I slow everything down a bit, it smooths out. BTW, I'm using MC 9.1 and a Haas VF6. It also seems to do this same thing when I'm pocketing larger holes. Any tips? Thanks,

Jim

What is the tolerance set to? You may actually need MORE code. Try setting the tolerance to .0002, if you already have it set to .0002, then try .0001 or .00005. Although, you are dealing with a HAAS. Our VM2 and VM3 like more code, but both machines will start blowing small radii if the feedrate is above 65ipm.

quote:

How do I eliminate jerky movements?

Cut back on the coffee! biggrin.giftongue.gif

Haas machines should be able to handle 100IPM with no problem. Like others have said > Turn on filter or if using surfacing toolpaths- under total tolerance set the filter ratio.

Our VF dont run acurate above 60ipm when finishing either in 3D, We have a FADAL with an 18i though that is smoking, 200 ipm accurate though most days I would prefer to keep the control and throw away the machine. It was a direct replacement for a 104D boat anchor.

• 2 months later...

Better than parish,

Our 4020 with the 18i is starting to loosen up a little, but hands down smokes the **** out of our haas both of them, and I am a haas over fadal fan under most circumstances, but the 18i is the best control that any standard level of machine will come with. I still have no issues with it cept for some tweky things, are you putting in the G50.1 Q1 ? I been roughing alum thermoforming molds and syntac at 400 to 500 ipm, and finish between 110 and 250 ipm.

Slowing down the machine so the controller can keep up with it stems from very small moves on each block of code. Using the arc filtering as has been mentioned will replace those short linear moves with an arc. There could also be a parameter that controls the speed ramp up and ramp down that also contributes to the jerky motion.

If your corner rounding is set too tight you will have jerky moves. G187 controls the smoothness, Smooth medium or rough and also controls the corner rounding tolerance. I control mine through the coolant page. If I am doing a rough pocket I open up the tolerance in the corner rounding setting so it will not stop in the corners. Look up G187 in your manual. Smooth, medium, or fine use different accel, decel parameters and you can see the different parameters that the control uses in the back of your manual.

mold100,

Yes I do use the AICC. I have too or I wouldn't be able to hold any tolerances. I set the Haas and the Fadal up with the same program and tooling. I ran them both side by side, in order to maintain accuracy I had to slow the Fadal way down. The cycle times where as follows. Fadal 25min. Haas 10min. And this is a toolroom mill. Thats sad. But in Fadal's defense I think we got a lemon. They've acknowledged it and they're replacing it with a new one. But non the less it will be our last Fadal, ever.

Ouch you were a victim of the 104d eh? I heard alot about those things. What these people don't realize is that something like that could put a small shop right out of business, I know in our case we lost a couple good customers mainly because it was just one thing after another. How long can you keep making excuses, ya know?