Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T the smallest end mill!

Fig sign

Hi , all !

A bit O/T !

What is the smallest end mill you use ?

I use end mill 0.3 mm (0.0118`) flat mill solid

and ball nose 0.6 mm .

Max.rpm in machine are 8000 rpm .

Cutting mostly copper & graphite ,sometimes alluminium and steel.

This work deserves bigger rpm but I am OK with this tools !

For smaller dia. I grind cutters .

Some more cool mills 1 mm extra long 15 mm cutting length, ball nose 1.5 22mm cutting lengh ,

1 mm ball nose 10mm cutting length ,2mm ball nose 30 mm cutting lengh .

Y-G,SCT, Hanita, SGS .

I love it ! wink.gif

Iskander teh crazy work for crazy PPL!

quote:

We regulary use .005" ballnose

.005" balls? I wasn't aware they existed heh. I regularly use .005" and .01" end mills for engraving logos and things of that sort. We only cut plastics here for the most part, I couldn't imagine using one to cut metal eek.gif

Geez, even touching the suckers off is a real PITA. You have to watch out not to breath in the direction of the cutter, one little sneeze or cough could break the thing biggrin.gif

Where do you get your .005" ball mills Budgie?

[ 07-09-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

.005 flat and ball end cutters. i've used them on every thing from graphite to hardened d-2 (60 rc).

most of my use of them has been on machines with speeds from 18000 to 30000. biggrin.gif my cutter of choice for sall sizes is tesco.great tools at affordable prices.

trevor

edit:

kyle you beet me to the tesco plug biggrin.gif

btw how is work were you are employed?

trevor

[ 07-09-2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: TREV ]

quote:

i'm curious. what rpm and how deep a cut do you take with that small of em?

Motty,

When using such small tooling we have found that cutter runout is the biggest problem that you will face, If a 0.2 cutter runs out by 0.02 then that is 10% of the diameter and that is a big problem. For this reason we do not use speed increaser heads.

Until recently we only had a 20K spindle and as I don't like running them flat out we used 18K

with 100mmmin feed and 0.01 depth of cut for a .005" Endmill. We never had any cutter breakage issues using these numbers, if fact I feel that they are a little conservitive.

cheers.gif

Coincedence, today I cut a cavity with .005 at 39,000 rpms at programmed feed of 30 ipm though I dont think it went over 10 with .0002 depths of cut.Also .01 dia same s & F with .0003 d.o.c.

(yes the cutters had to be relieved) and the .01 was the rougher total depth small ribs .0673 in H-13 50-52 rc.