Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming a metric tap when in inches mode

krosen

I have a job that I need to program a metric tap (which is unusual at our shop).  I selected a metric tap (when in inches mode) and thank the lord I ran the tap a couple inches above the part on the first hole because it wouldn't have been pretty.  I then read online that in order to program a metric tap in inch mode you have to use an inch tap and convert the tool geometry to metric.  is this correct? or is it possible to select and use a metric tap when in inch mode?

I just go to the thread per inch field of the tool definition and enter

1/ (metric pitch value mm) and let Mastercam do the work

so for a 1mm pitch thread

1/(1mm) = 25.4 threads per inch

a 1.5 mm thread would yield

1/(1.5mm)  = 16.933333 threads per inch

• Like 1

When you output the Feed value for a Tap, it's very important to check the format being output. Many times the control will accept 5 or 6 decimal places for a Tapping Feed Rate, but the output in the post might be set to 3 or 4 decimal place output. This can mean a slight error in the synchronization between the spindle rotation and the Z feed, which can cause a loss of precision in the tapped hole, and I've even seen where a 3 place decimal caused enough of a lead error to break a tap.

• Like 1

1/ (metric pitch vale mm) and let Mastercam do the work

exactly what i do for building molds / tooling with metric components.

The theory is pitch error. However, no deeper than *most* taps go I wouldn't worry about the 2nd or 3rd decimal places. I have seen the pitch finally stack up on holes that were threadmilled really deep but I also thought they were threaded way to deep. JM2C

• Like 1

I guess I've just been lucky. I've tapped 1000s of holes over the years and never seemed to have broken one because of pitch error. Maybe I was getting premature tap wear because of it and then when it finally broke, I chalked it up to a dull tap.

1/ (metric pitch vale mm) and let Mastercam do the work

Awesome! I didn't realize till this post that MC interprets the "mm" automatically in entry fields. Thanks.