Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t internet connection

Quickmike

I'm going to get either a dsl line or internet access through cable. I believe they will be about equal but I'm looking for some opinions or experiences that can be shared. This is my house not a business application.

[ 01-19-2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Quickmike ]

Here's my breakdown:

Cable

-able to achieve faster speeds than DSL

-in very populated neighbourhoods, speed can slow down due to other peoples use of Internet and cable TV

DSL

-if close to a telco switch, speeds will be fast and (hopefully) consistant

-PPPoE software...ugh

I'd try the cable route first and then test your connection (tonnes of websites for that). If it's comparable, stick with it. Otherwise, switch to DSL.

HTH.

We Have multiple T1 connections at work so that is my baseline to compare with my home CABLE setup.

The cable is very good. Cable is a popular solution in my town and many people use it. It sometimes appears faster as my isp, Comcast caches popular sights on their own servers. I've never experienced any noticable drop in bandwidth due to overloading. I guess I'm just on a good node.

Cable is supposed to be faster, but you are sharing a party line with your neighbors.

If you chose cable, a good firewall is mandatory,

and you may notice a slowdown during peak hours.

I have DSL at home, hooked to a DSL router.

The router handles all the PPoE stuff and maintains my connection, even when my computers are turned off. When I first got DSL, my average linespeed was about 900KPS, but that was too fast

for the old phone lines in my neighborhood.

Earthlink turned my connection speed down to

600KPS and my DSL has been trouble free for over a year now.

I now go with Cable bussness account so I can keep a static IP.

this was alot cheaper then my past DSL Buss account when it can to speed and uptime.

when you go to a cable buss you then alos get the option for more speed.

I have 2.5/768 and test say once a moonth at diffrent times stays preaty good.

Some times it may drop a little say 2.0/.512.

So far I really like haveing the cable over the DSL that I have had in the past for price and speed.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Cable for me at home too. Depending on Server traffic at Microsoft and Symantec I can hit sustained speeds of 3 MB. if I go to DSL Reports Website my average downloads are in the neighborhood of 2.0 to 2.5 MB and upload is a paltry 256 Kb. Can't have it both ways. I get Basic Cable and internet for $43/ mo. next June it will jump to $47.

Go with Cable - Stick it to those TelCo's whenever and wherever you can. They've been sticking us for years.

I have cable at home. Great speed and all, but expensive. Comcast keeps jacking up the price and taking away things (with ATT we had free dial-up for when you were on the road!)

I get really pi$$$ed when the connection goes down, so I would pick up the phone, dail 1-800-comcast. Guess the got tired of hearing from me, 'cause the connection has been really good the last several months.. biggrin.gif

Anyone look at the Direct TV satelite internet??

Kathy

I looked into the Direct TV satelite thing. Sounded like a great plan up until they gave me the price for all the extra equipment. Need a stand alone dish for the service plus all the decoding equipment blah blah blah. Was $750 worth of stuff before I could even think about connecting. Then the monthly charge of $35.00. At least that is what it runs up here in the middle of nowhere. The cost coupled with the problem of snow filling up the dish all the time told me that cable was the way to go.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Had it. When you need more than dial up, it works. I averaged about 800 Kbps but did see bursts of 1.1 MB. Latency is HORRENDOUS!!! 500MS!!! eek.gifeek.gif So all you gamers ou t there, you're dead before you know it.

If you need access to/through a VPN DIal up is better if you can believe it.

JM2C from experience.

I just got a dsl line at home because cable service is not available in my area. Beats the he!! out of dial up (but that doesn't really take much does it?) The only problem I have is I just installed xp pro so each of my kids now has their own "account" on my machine and I have to re-establish my connection anytime I switch users. I really haven't had time to look into it though so it might just be my set-up. cheers.gif

With DSL at work and a couple friends houses, I've had 1st hand experience with it. It sux. Slower. Always down.

Even though I could get it cheaper cuz my wife works there, and I'd be "supporting our future.. blah blah", I'm sticking with Cable. I've had it here for prolly 6 or 7 years, it's been down like 2 times. As for gaming, I run 1280x1024 in game, high grafix, and usually ping @ around 20-50 at 99.99 fps. This on an 850mhz and WinME eek.gifeek.gif

'Rekd

Mikef,

If you get yourself a router/firewall (hardware) it will take care of the connection for you. I did it at home and eliminated the PPPoE software and the firewall software completely from the computer.

Mine was $57 CDN and I have a $40 CDN rebate to mail in.

quote:

Hear in Central New Jersey I pay Comcast $94.94 a month for Basic Cable (no premium stuff) and a cable connection to the internet

It's about the same in CT. That's why I still have dial up @ home and analog cable. Cable bill is $43.99 per month (analog) and if I went with cable for the internet it would be $49.99 per month. Sorry but I don't need it that bad.

Wow, I don't know why you guys are so down on DSL....I've had it for about a year now (since the first day they made it available here, I was suffering on dial-up for years frown.gif ). I pay less then what ppl pay for cable in the next town over (not available in my town) get the same speed they offer = 786-1.5 down and 256 up, has NEVER been down and it NEVER slows down. Yeah I have to wait for the PPoE connection to load when my comp starts...but that takes all of...uh...3 seconds rolleyes.gif Don't let these guys spoil you on DSL, it's not bad at all.

[ 01-20-2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]