Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T More Strikes...

Rekd™

11:20 p.m. PDT April 30, 2004 - Independent truckers protested mounting diesel fuel prices Friday by abandoning trucks in rush-hour traffic on one of the region's busiest freeways and staging rallies at two of the largest ports on the West Coast.

LMAO

If they keep that up, they'll have the prices down in no time. wink.gif

'Rekd

FYI, here in Arcata we have the Most Expensive Gas Prices In The Nation. Surveys across the country have shown this to be consistently true over the past two years. Anytime you hear on the news how bad prices are, add on about 60 cents. That's us. Not coincidentally, there's been a surge in sales of the Toyota Prius.

Truckers hold the keys. They got the power. Its wonderful news their starting to do something about all this gas hikes non-sense.

Truckers unite!!! Force those diesel prices downward!!! Let em have it, Teamsters! Sock it to em! Our dollar is dwindling unless more of us take action. The oil companies got the supply, we must cut back on the demand. Strike! Block rush hour traffic! eek.gif [ok, i don't drive on the highways to work but if I did I still would support it bonk.gif ].

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Normally, I never side with them (Teamsters), but on this one... I gotta say it's a good cause. It's something that affects every single one of us with a Combustion Engine. Prices are artificially high. I'm all for eveybody making a profit, don't get me wrong, I'm a capitalist to the bone, but what I don't support is price gouging. It's wrong and should be punnished. Shoudl be punnished by CEO's sharing a cell with some truckers for a week or two and see if they don't change their tune. Not that CEO's directly affect pricing at the pump, but for sure they have "influence" on the factors/persons responsible for calling the prices.

Just you watch, there will be an "accident" at one of the refineries this summer and prices will approach the $3.50/gal for 89.

BTW I filled up my car last week for $2.10/gal. Diesel #2 has been hovering around $2.35/gal. Not sure about the grade truckers use.

James teh conspiracy theorist

quote:

Normally, I never side with them (Teamsters)

+1 James.

Also, the CWA (Commercial Workers xxxx) will prolly be going on strike some time after the 7th if SBC doesn't pull thier heads out. There's 13 states with 90% approval to strike.

Details from SBC are sketchy, but I have got some info from the pres of CWA, who was sketchy when addressing the union members with the proposal to strike. (Those poor suckers are getting fed such a line of BS it's not funny.)

'Rekd

Just you watch, there will be an "accident" at one of the refineries this summer and prices will approach the $3.50/gal for 89.

James, this is one conspiracy theory that you and I are on the same side of!

For all of you moaning about paying $1.89, last time I filled up I paid $2.34 for regular, though I'm not sure what it is today. Like I said: The Most Expensive Gas Prices In The Nation.

Question for all: Have the current high gas prices affected how much you drive, or what kind of vehicle you drive?

quote:

Have the current high gas prices affected how much you drive, or what kind of vehicle you drive?

We still need to go all the same places we did when gas was cheaper.

(No change here)

Driving the same vehicle for 4 1/2 yrs.

(2000 Durango)

Offshore drilling has been banned almost everywhere in the US

Drilling is illegal in most of Alaska

There hasn't been a new refinery built

in the US since the 60's.

Almost every region of the country requires a

unique blend of gasoline due to pollution regulations.

Refineries must now blend ethanol into gas even though we can't produce enough of it to meet demmand.

and

everybody and their brother drives a 12 mgpg

SUV

People wonder why gas prices are so high???

It's not hard to figure that out

quote:

everybody and their brother drives a 12 mgpg SUV

People wonder why gas prices are so high???

I know, I know!!! I'm bonk.gif my self for it now.

It was great when we bought it, but now it sucks - literally.

I'll be getting rid of it at the end of the year.

http://www.atr.org/taxbites/gas.html

quote:

When you cruise on over to the gas station to fill up your car’s gas tank, you naturally assume that you are paying for gas. What you don’t realize is that over half of what you pay goes to the government in taxes rather than for the gas.

The federal government adds an excise tax of 18.3 cents on every gallon of gas. Each state then adds an additional excise tax now averaging 19.4 cents per gallon. This adds up to a total of 37.7 cents per gallon.

Based on recent price data from the Energy Information Administration of the U.S. Department of Energy, these taxes account for about 28 percent of what you pay for a gallon of gas at the pump.

For a car with a standard 15 gallon gas tank, a tax of 37.7 cents per gallon adds up to $5.66 per fill-up. The Tax Foundation estimates that the average American household will spend $422 this year on these taxes alone.

But that is not all. The government imposes 43 different direct and indirect taxes on the production and distribution of gas. The total tax burden amounts to 54 percent of the price of a gallon of gas.

There would be a tax revolt tomorrow if everyone had to pay their own taxes. Most of the taxes that you pay are hidden on your phone, cable, electric, gas, water bills. Even your paycheck makes it easy with your employer taking you taxes for the government. It is not so bad when you never miss the money from you check. What if every one had to make quarterly deposits or send in a 10 grand at the end of every year? BYE BYE stupid wasteful programs.

John