Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 Mill suggestions and improvements

Redfire427

I would love to see new features

1) ability to create multiple stock def

2) ability to save a verified model as a solid

and set the saved model as a stock

the stl translate feature sucks

the stl feature is great if you are working with limited steps in your process & your model is not going to move from one operation to the next.

When you get 2 or more parts on a tombstone and on every side of the tombstone the part is changing orientation moving a stl becomes very cumbersome and setting a wcs off of the original model does work, but when you verify all goes to hell

Mastercam X2 MR2 SP1

MILL 3 SOLIDS (2x)

4/5 AXIS

LATHE

Bug fixes should be top priority (MasterCam isn't a video game) but a new feature I'd love to get: to be able to set tool reference point anywhere I want along tool... should be very simple (just like sum/substraction). Why only tip/radius center option?

I'm stuck with V9 since 2003 but should finally upgrade X2 full options+maintenance next month... I hope i won't be disappointed.

quote:

I'd really like to see Rest Material added to the HST Horizontal Area toolpath.

x1000

Ive been playing with this tool path. Its very nice. Its missing the horizontal rest mill. You have to jump through hoops to hit the corners. Impressive but could be allot better with the finish horizontal rest.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Kunfuzed... I've done this, I just started the drawing in Lathe, then went to Mill. Lathe sets up your needed WCS. Kinda backwards I know but it's just a procedural issue.

HTH

Thanks James. Here were I work, at least with the mill programs, were supposed to not move the solid at all. That way when it gets modified, we can just import it back in. I think that once change recognition has reached a high level of reliability, this will be very important.(I really can't speak about it though since I don't use it) Also, we've had some turning work to do on parts were the features were'nt a nice 180 apart which we held in fixtures. I think WCS in lathe would be great for this so you only have one solid, one file.

WCS in Lathe! I want to be able to start a part in mill, then orient my toolplane in Lathe without moving or copying geometry. I think this could also eliminate "stock flip". I want to be able to keep it down to one solid - one file.

you should be able to do that with just rotating your wcs and setting a new origin. you don't have to copy geometry. use the same wcs procedure from the mill. i do it all the time. i work with different assemblies and i leave the solid where they come in at. i just translate the views to get them to lie in the C & T plane. this way when a rev change comes in with a new solid comparison between old and new solid becomes a breeze

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

On a serious note...

quote:

...Here were I work, at least with the mill programs, were supposed to not move the solid at all...

I would consider that a "best practice" if there ever was one for EXACTLY the reason you stated and more. With the power of the WCS it just makes no sense to ever move a model. Some have said they have issues with 5-Axis if the "Top view" is not the base View but so far I've had no issues, granted, I can fully simulate the machine before I put code in it so... I can always move it if I have to. So far I've not had to. But kunfuzed, keep up that practice of not moving the model if at all possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Tool inspection point to all surface toolpaths. Ability to use rapid feed rate on tool inspection point retract, even if you are using the minimum retract in feed rate mode. It is annoying to have to wait hand in feed stop button for the tool inspection point when you could just put the rapids to 25% and be doing something else and still have time to come back to the machine and stop it.

• 3 months later...