Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help improve Mastercam toolpaths

Please help us make Mastercam a better product! Below is a link to a short survey which will help us better understand how our users are utilizing different toolpath types in Mastercam. Please take the time to fill out the brief survey (it's only 8 questions!). Any questions or comments can be posted directly to this forum thread.

For your convenience, we are offering the survey in multiple langues. Once you click the link below, select your language from the list displayed.

The information you provide will help CNC Software make important decisions about the future development of Mastercam toolpaths. Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Mastercam!

https://ux.mastercam.../toolpathusage/

Done. There are a lot of features in Mastercam I don't use. But this is because I am self taught. I find something new almost every day. So please don't take anything out until I have an opinion on it :laughing:

X2

I left a good chunk unchecked.

I wrote in th ecomment box, "what are wire frame toolpaths?"

I also suggested the drill tip compensation in the linkage page even though they only asked for wire frame toolpaths. Sorry

Surface Rough pocket is the only Oldschool toolpath I use out of all the paths in the Survey

And it's days are numbered !

Get rid of all those wireframe and "V9" rough surface toolpaths.

It's 2013 let's put all are resources forward.

Sure I worked at a place that only had level 1 and it was nice to have the wire frame paths

To do some 3d stuff but thats far and few in between.

"Wire frame and V9 style roughing toolpaths" ?!?!

Keep a copy of X6 on your PC and run them from there in the future.

EDIT:

If supporting Wire frame and V9 Style surface roughing doesn't effect future

Toolpath development leave them of course ;)

So what's the discussion or prioritization going on there? Port the old stuff over, or drop em' altogether? Or update their interface to tree style? Curious.

IMHO, leave them non-tree style. Hands down their are fewer clicks in old school interface than new school tree style.

There are only a few old school roughing paths that are valuable. Pocket, contour, and very seldom parallel. Sometimes (about 8% of the time) 3d hst just doesn't work well. Sure if you are doing a mold or entire part hst is the way to go. But say you are doing a production 2d part where you just need to target a certain small region for surface machining. Sometimes an old school path will be more controllable, fine-tunable, and efficient. Now for surface finish, old school can be frequently better.

I have never used a wireframe toolpath. What do you use them for?

the wireframe toolpaths are the old school surfacing toolpaths from the very early Mastercam releases

they are quite powerful and very useful in the right circumstances.

If I had to guess, I'd say this poll is trying to gage thier popularity with an eye towards dropping them

the wireframe toolpaths are the old school surfacing toolpaths from the very early Mastercam releases

they are quite powerful and very useful in the right circumstances.

And they are the only option for those of us with a seat of mill level 1.

KEEP THEM!!!!! YES, I'M YELLING!!!!

The wireframe toolpaths are very useful for Mill1 users who need to do simple surfacing from time to time, If your creative enough you can do complex surfacing with them, just alot of extra geometry creation and toolpaths to get the desired result.

I have a lot of Mill3/Multiaxis users who use them because you can toolpath certain shapes with just a few clicks instead of 1000 settings in the surface paths.

• Like 1

The wireframe toolpaths are very useful for Mill1 users who need to do simple surfacing from time to time, If your creative enough you can do complex surfacing with them, just alot of extra geometry creation and toolpaths to get the desired result.

I have a lot of Mill3/Multiaxis users who use them because you can toolpath certain shapes with just a few clicks instead of 1000 settings in the surface paths.

+1 , they are great for multi axis work where you can tilt your tool over and pick away areas of a mold and therefore don't need a fancy toolpath

Thanks for the input, everyone. I just want to let everyone know that we are getting a lot of great feedback, both from the survey and here on the forum. Our intentions are not necessarily to remove any of the toolpaths listed, just to gain a better understanding of how these toolpaths are being used. This will, however, help us prioritize future development of our mill toolpaths.

And yes, this survey will be launched through additional channels. Also feel free to forward the link on to any colleagues or friends who may be using Mastercam.