Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hi folx !

Well ,its nobody fault but mine

Anyway  ...

Most of the time I work I have 10-15 Mastercams opened.

If I machine  one mold ,design the other one and make toolpathes for

the third one ...

And solve some problems here and there ...

Every mold is 3-5 parts minimum plus  part drawing and assembly.

So you see I easily reach 15 opened Mastercams or more.

And most of problems comes on closing

Because of that i NEVER MAKE QUIT BY SAVING FILE .

I always save file and do File->new command because some of the closed Mastercams will  crash.

SO I HAVE A QUestion ?

Why Mastercam has no multidocument interface .

Or lets say why they think it is matter of smaLL IMPORTANCE.

I want to hear your reaction ,guys .

Is it only me blowing his mind away overreacting  ?

Or may be thats your issue too

Best retards

Personally, I try to never have more than one instance open at a time. If someone comes in with a question about a different part, I'll save where I am and open the other file... or better yet... I take advantage of the opportunity to shut Mastercam down and then restart opening the new file... seems to clean up whatever bugs that need to be reset.

Now that Mastercam opens in a few seconds, it doesn't seem like a burden anymore and I really have far fewer problems doing things this way.

Most modern CAD/CAM applications support a multi-document interface. I'm surprised that Mastercam hasn't made that a development priority. I think part of the issue that holds Mastercam development back is the insistence that any new version of Mastercam be able to open "legacy" files. Personally, I think they should draw a line in the sand and move forward with a modern platform. Make it an option to import geometry from older Mastercam versions, but get rid of the baggage of having to support old 32 bit functions. Buy hey, what do I know...

• Like 4
Guest MTB Technical Services

Most modern CAD/CAM applications support a multi-document interface. I'm surprised that Mastercam hasn't made that a development priority. I think part of the issue that holds Mastercam development back is the insistence that any new version of Mastercam be able to open "legacy" files. Personally, I think they should draw a line in the sand and move forward with a modern platform. Make it an option to import geometry from older Mastercam versions, but get rid of the baggage of having to support old 32 bit functions. Buy hey, what do I know...

TROUBLEMAKER!

• Like 3

This stuff makes Mastercam look bad and it makes them look like they are waaaay behind the times.  I use Mastercam and know better, as it is a pretty good product.  I have friends that bought other platforms because Mastercam was "so old and antiquated" compared to xxxx brand software and it was because of things like this...  The purchase decision was based on their first impression without ever really using the software and those of us that use it know better.  it is pretty solid but has some obvious faults.  My point is that this stuff is costing them and it should be addressed.

I run MC on 2 PC's. 2 instances per pc max to reduces crashes as the op stated. Between the 2 PC's I have a 7 port USB switch with my SpacePilot Pro, trackball, keyboard Casio Classpad 400, and a USB flash Drive. I am able to switch all USB devices from 1 PC to the other with the push of 1 button. I can easilty xfer files with the USB flash drive on my port switch in a matter of seconds. Makes life a breeze.

Even though the warning claims that only one instance can be used at a time, I sometimes will have a few open at a time, and switch back and forth working on each.  I don't think I've had a crash in X6 at all.  But I remember back in the v7 and v9 days, with the crashing and files getting corrupted, to tread lightly when multiple instances are open.  It would be nice to see this come to fruition.  The legacy stuff...well I guess that would not be terrible, I can still open v9 files here.

Different things are important to different users.  Remember all the clamoring about "Fix all the bugs before adding new features!"?

If enough of us ask them to make multi-file sessions a priority, they will, and other things will fall off the list.

I don't think the current generation of Mastercam will ever be capable of opening multiple part files in the same session a la SolidWorks or SpaceClaim.

This will have to wait for the next generation of Mastercam which I'm guessing is 2 possibly 3  releases away X 2017 or 2018. (and this is ONLY a guess)

FWIW,

ESPRIT is also only an SDI application.

However, it does support multiple instances and it is possible to drag and drop from one instance to another.

This is very useful functionality.

As much as I love Mastercam, I don't ever see it becoming an MDI app.

If it was going to happen, it would have been done already.

TROUBLEMAKER!

TROUBLEMAKER!

LOL

Surprised they haven't made it a development priority? They didn't make Mill-Turn a development priority when a lot of people told them they should.... Still, we have nice new solid modelling features. ;)

I often have 2 or 3 sessions open of Mastercam, and on occasion I've copied and pasted between sessions. But, since using a few other applications that have multi document functionality (and also seem to be VERY stable), I have to say, it makes a big difference in terms of convenience.

Still, what would I know :)

I run multiple sessions of Mastercam all the time and copy geometry between them on a daily baisis

In MCfSW you can copy toolpaths between session ..  it would be nice if you could do that in

regular MC.. but I'm thinking that day will come.

LOL

Surprised they haven't made it a development priority? They didn't make Mill-Turn a development priority when a lot of people told them they should.... Still, we have nice new solid modelling features. ;)

I often have 2 or 3 sessions open of Mastercam, and on occasion I've copied and pasted between sessions. But, since using a few other applications that have multi document functionality (and also seem to be VERY stable), I have to say, it makes a big difference in terms of convenience.

Still, what would I know :)

bill_murray-stripes1981-1355.jpg

• Like 1

FWIW,

ESPRIT is also only an SDI application.

However, it does support multiple instances and it is possible to drag and drop from one instance to another.

This is very useful functionality.

As much as I love Mastercam, I don't ever see it becoming an MDI app.

If it was going to happen, it would have been done already.

probably my single favorite thing about esprit.  you can drag a toolpath to a geometry on a new screen and bam, it's done.  I use this all the time.

I run multiple sessions of Mastercam all the time and copy geometry between them on a daily baisis

In MCfSW you can copy toolpaths between session ..  it would be nice if you could do that in

wow, i was told NOT to do this by my trainer at CCS.  I'm going to give it the business and see how it goes.

there is always a dilemma  to keep all your stuff in one file with lots of toolgroops ucs parts and so on or to be simple

i do it  not simple only if there is no other way

with been complex  i Also had issues.

I prefere to be as siimple as posssible

Now If the time of programming and running the part may have 10 minutes difference and there is no t ime+for licking the program

you need to keep opened lot of sessions simultaneosly

I have no  other way

More than one machine plus EDM and WireEdm .

That`s it

I can not open files every minute or close just to  have 2-3 sessions i have at least ten

I do it not from obstinity but nessesity exists .

BR

how do you copy geometry between sessions?

I don't think the current generation of Mastercam will ever be capable of opening multiple part files in the same session a la SolidWorks or SpaceClaim.

This will have to wait for the next generation of Mastercam which I'm guessing is 2 possibly 3  releases away X 2017 or 2018. (and this is ONLY a guess)

typical on all levels of MC

just remember to save often ;)

I notice that if you have two instances open of X7 on each monitor.

DO NOT close one and click on the other until it fully closes...or they both close and

no option to save on the 2nd one.