Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Can we talk?

Jack Mitchell

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well folks for me it comes down to looking back at History. Why you ask would I look back ? Because the mistakes we are making stem from not remembering our History which leaves us bound to repeat those very same mistakes. For me it is simple, we are bound to make mistakes since we are not created perfect. Yeah I know the religion card doesn't get played well in this game but oh well. That could be part of the problem as well but that's for another thread. Back to simplicity, yes the simple mans view that's what I call it. For me it comes down to looking at all the Terrorists/Suicide Bombers/Idiots as nothing more than modern day Kamikaze Pilots/SS Troops willing to die for a belief that was brainwashed into them. They have no other choice when you look at them since they have no formal education/enlightenment on the rest of the worlds peoples/beliefs/hopes/wishes. The reason for this horrible outlook on the rest of us is because they have been denied the opportunity. Who denied them ? Why their leaders of course. Just imagine what living under a modern day Hitler(Saddam) must be like. Whether he killed 6,000,000 or 6,000 doesn't matter, the fact is he's killed his own people. Now with some fool like Osama(Hirohito) its another story. He comes along and fires up 1/3 of the world and then sits back and watches the sparks fly. What do we do now ? I believe we should stay the course and finish the job we started. Whether that is right or wrong History will decide, but one thing for sure about History is that both Germany and Japan have been and continue to be models of what good can come from all this terrible crap we call WAR. After we kicked their collective a$$e$ they became examples of what can happen when things go wrong so I think everyone should look at History very closely and keep that in mind when considering the things that are happening in our WORLD.

This has been very interesting.If you don`t mind my 2 cents - I served 3 years in VietNam in the Marine Corp. I love this country and would do it again. I put 7 children in the service, 2 are still in. A daughter flies the CH-47 and a son that`s a first sargent in special forces. I think it was on the first page of this discussion were I read "son if you don`t leave the house - they can`t hurt you" WRONG, because it will get to a point when they will come INTO your house to get you. Right or wrong, I support my President. And personaly, I think he`s right. For all who have never been in war - I leave you with just one note. These people do not think like us. The only way we can stop them is to think like them. This is what are President is doing. An eye for an eye. Except, they started it - we`re just gonna finish it. Have a good weekend - all.

Sorry if you took it as a personal attack.

right or left, I have no tolerance for nonsense. (There is plenty on both sides, all the time) A-ron, mark lovelace, and many others have posted reasonable opinions on both sides of the fence based on decent facts. But I found parts of your post to be, well, senseless, thus my suggestion for you to try a lower altitude.

By your logic, George W. Bush would have been responsible for 9/11 whether it was 8 months into his term or if had it been his first day in office, that's ridiculous.

quote:

Well Jeb , he kind of cute. Bet his picture is next to the word half-wit in the dictonary.

That quote ranks up there with the "can I have a free post" or "send me disk with mastercam".

I mean, really.. Geesh.

Damn! Take one day off and there's too much material to respond to! Okay, let's just pick a few;

quote:

Do you really, I mean really think Iraq was a total failure?

The reasons given for the war were 1) Iraq had WMD that posed an "imminent threat" to the US, and 2) Iraq was aiding and abetting Al Queda (with the never-quite-stated implication that it was somehow involved in 9/11.) Iraq has just as many WMD now as it did immediately before the war: Zero. I guess I can't honestly say we failed to disarm Iraq when there was nothing to disarm in the first place. However, since the war, Iraq has become a hot-bed of terrorism, and our actions have stirred greater wrath towards our country. On that front, we seem to have taken a step back. I won't use the term 'failure.' I'll just say that the war has not achieved its stated goals.

quote:

...why the double standard? You’ve never replied to this question and nobody on the left will EVER, EVER, EVER, f#&%ing address this question.

You'll never get an answer to your question because it's built on an unsupported assumption. It's no more valid than someone asking "Why are all conservatives racists?" Personally, though, I'd say that if anyone is guilty of a 'double standard' it's the conservatives who blasted (and continue to blast) Clinton for lying, but defend the lies coming from Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and co.

quote:

Did you forget the Al Samoud missiles found at the beginning of the war that were modified to have enough range to reach Israel?

These were the closest we've come to finding WMD, and they were found, and destroyed, by UN weapons inspectors before the war.

Banned weapons systems found as a result of UN weapons inspectors: 1

Banned weapons systems found as a result of the war: 0

By the way, why does everyone here assume I'm a Democrat? I used to be a Republican. I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary, but when Bush got the nod, I registered as a Green and voted for Nader, so that means I effectively ended up voting for Bush, anyway. Now I'm registered as 'decline to state.'

The fact that Saddam didn't satisfy the requirements of resolution 687 was enough for me. Saddam and his actions have had a direct impact on my life. Other veterans can say the same thing. I was ecstatic when I heard that he had been captured.

I'm not much into politics but I support President Bush 100%. He's got the balls to make it happen. I can only imagine where we'd be right now if Gore was in his place. rolleyes.gif

I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinion here. We have some talented writers in this group. cheers.gif

Thad

quote:

It's
no more valid
than someone asking "Why are all conservatives racists?"

Your question was built on an unsupported assumption. I gave you an example of another question, based on an equally unsupported assumption. I thought it would be pretty clear that I believe neither question to have any merit.

Conservative talk-show hosts use this kind of cheap, sophomoric tactic all of the time. When the person being asked tries to point out the falacy of the question, the host then attacks them for refusing to answer the question. The typical follow-up is something like "You’ve never replied to this question and nobody on the left will EVER, EVER, EVER, f#&%ing address this question." It's an easy set-up, but it's ultimately meaningless.

Arron,

Your debate or stance has all the passion and merit that of which Mark has. smile.gif I find this discussion to be informative and argumentative but it is what it is.

Debating this topic is a tough call, I believe many others might wish to partake but shy away from articles of proof or perhaps speculative/questionable information.

Some wouldn’t touch this thread with a ten foot pole since it might take a certain dedication to fight out your opinion which may or may not support somebody else’s.

Imagine somebody says to me:

So tell me Jack – do you still beat your wife?

This is an example of a question built on an unsupported assumption.

How can I possibly respond to such a question? – Simply put, it’s impossible.

But yet today, I have learned what an unsupported assumption means and how it can be used or abused in an argument.

To debate other people can cause some thought provoking responses within ourselves and others, I believe this to be a good thing.

I know that both you and Mark spend a lot of time typing and posting. It’s easily recognizable because I do this as well; I know that I dress up a response with a relevance or reference to music or movies but it’s just the right way for me to comfortably express myself and for some reason I tend to enjoy writing for a reaction, sometimes for the humor aspect.

As time goes bye I find my writing skills sharpening and my vocabulary improving since some of the words used often require me to check the meaning with synonyms.

Now if I could just do something about my imagination. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

quote:

and for some reason I tend to enjoy writing for a reaction, sometimes for the humor aspect.

Amen, brotha! cheers.gif

As a last thought before I ban myself from this topic, I'd like to share a recent experience with you..

Chasing your kid around the house yelling “TickleMonster! Gonna get you!” is fun.

Chasing a stranger around the mall yelling “TickleMonster! Gonna get you!” is apparently a misdemeanor.

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...So tell me Jack – do you still beat your wife?...

Isn't the answer supposed to be "I have NEVER beat my wife!!!!" To the inocent that would be the answer. To the guilty, the answer would be "...I've done nothing wrong...", or worse yet the freudian slip "... yes, why , yes I do...".

JM2C

Jack and Rekd great points. James funny stuff there. It all boils down to passion and how you express it. Taking anything anyone say about a topic unless personally directed to you as anything more than that person opinion leads to these types of reactions that we have in this thread. I have see posting from all of you guys who posted in this thread and think highly of each and everyone of you. The idea like Jack said was to invoke thought to inform and to share ideas.

The famrer who grew up away from everything and olny planted his crop and never wnet into town didn't know the frist thing about the outside world. He didnt go out and look for what was out there he was hppy tilling his feilds milking his cows and feeding his family. Does this person who has a what he considers a greta life any different than anyone esle no he is just a person who has passion different from others. Does the fact that he doesn't know anything about the outside world make him a good or bad person no just different. We all in our ways are that farmer some of use are knee deep in the going on things around us and things we find import in our lives and others of us are that farmer that juts stands behind the bull planting the crops. The point is you can have 100 famers in a room and I bet all 100 do it and think different than the other and that is what makes the world go around. Peace out.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, boy’s and girls – William H. Macy here (borrowed fresh outta Seabiscuit) coming to you live in a tie game, at the bottom of ninth, bases loaded, with two outs recorded – yadda yadda zing zing zing!

I got to say this much for that amazing pitcher George W – he’s the model of consistency, from throwing an eighty mph split finger frozen rope to the 98 mph pit-bull slider, this phenom is just eating these batters up.

Fire and ice ladies & gents Fire and ice. Zing zing zing. Where ever did they find this kid you ask? Texas! That’s right folks you heard it here first, and I ain’t just whistling Dixie Chicks here! “as he sips from a little hair of the dog”

The bench manager Rumsfeld is standing behind his “never seen before in professional baseball” podium with two hands while pointing his index fingers and wincing at the hungry press gallery over top of the bifocals.

Batting coach Wolfowitz remains seated, tirelessly running the stats.

The ever lovely Condoleezza talking up a storm of inspiration has the crowd in a frenzy.

The announcer calls “at the plate – the rookie from kinnookie - John Kerry - voice fading away like in the UFC or some kind of a Tyson prize fight - Kkkeeerrryyy .

Kerry takes a practice swing and steps up to the plate. The ever neutral umpire Miss Richardson acknowledges to the pitcher and crouches down and in, behind the catcher.

Miss Rice starts it up one more time – hey batta batta batta – swing batta. Come on Bushy a little peppar, a little peppar in there!

Show him some of that corn bread heat! Smoke em baby – smoke em.

Here’s the pitch – Fast, inside, high & tight, then the bottom drops out, low on the outside corner.

Kerry, embarrassing so, is caught looking.

Kathy rises up about an inch, places her left hand on her hip and shouts STEEEERIKE – while pumping her right arm and fist outwards five times.

The crowd erupts followed by a long pause for a few seconds.

Kerry says “Hey Ump” there is something wrong with that baseball – please look at it, I do indeed, as always, suspect shenanigans.

Richardson beckons and Bush presents the ball to the umpire.

Kathy looks upon two exacto slices on each side of the seam roughly a 180deg slice.

Kerry says and yeah sure, and what’s on the other side – Kathy turns the miniature globe to reveal “Made in China” just then the covering separates from the ball the innards spill out rolling onto the infield, leaving Miss Richardson merely holding the covering.

Kerry says – just as I though another offshore piece of **** Bush and we, the people of America are holding you personally responsible.

Bush retorts that these balls are made from American materials shipped to the Dominican and returned as Made in America products and I remain at a loss as to how this imitation piece of crap ended up in this baseball game then proceeds to blame Kerry for planting it.

Tempers begin to flare and Kathy yells it out ENOUGH and waves her hands.

I determine that this baseball has a manufacturing defect – the strike stands and tosses Bush another baseball and motions him to go back to the mound.

The pitcher nods and sets – Rice starts pumpin it up again. Show em some of that cheese baby – swing batta batta batta.

She then starts doing some sort of a jiggy dance chanting he got ya, he got ya, were gonna to beat ya, he got ya.

Kerry pulls back from the plate – “Hey Ump” I cannot concentrate with all the trash-talk how about it Ump? Who’s running this game anyways?

Kathy approaches the bench – Rice is immediately swarmed with secret service agents, they reluctantly yield as Kathy speaks up – little Miss, you’re going to sit there and keep quite, do you understand?

Rice – yes mam, I’ll be good, promise – a she beams that lovely innocent smile.

Kathy returns and gives the nod to the pitcher.

Bush winds it up and fires the release towards the lanky prospect; it’s the heat, all of it.

Kerry unloads with a perfectly timed response and drives this ball hard, hard and long, just left of the foul pole but clearly earmarked as parking lot material.

Unfortunate for Kerry, but just foul.

STEEEERIKE – she pumps her right arm outwards another five times.

The crowd erupts once again, sensing the kill.

Rumsfeld immediately calls for a time out to do a little damage control.

Kathy grants it reluctantly but appreciates letting her right arm have a brief rest since it was beginning to swell – she grabs the ice bucket.

As the teams’ debate intent and position, Macy takes it to a commercial.

“Tired of replacing those chintzy motors?, losing production on a daily basis?, seen it all and then some and you still want something more out of your machining equipment?

Well then, Show up and cut it with a Mazak! That’s right folks, Mastercam and Mazak! Clearly the choice among the pro’s yadda yadda zing zing zing. Shamelessly brought to by Jack Mazak and by the kind folks in Florence Ky. The lady from behind the broadcaster sexily croons (Oohhh, I like a man with a Mazak). – End of commercial.

On his way to the dugout, Bush signs a few baseball autographs for the droves of fans; somebody tosses a Rockwell rendered turkey bird at him and Bush surprisingly catches it once again in full display mode – security moves in fast, Bush beckons them off with a smile, signs a couple of potatoes and thoughtfully tosses it back.

Wolfowitz consults the stats and tells Rumsfeld that he needs to pitch this man high and tight, anything else could amount to a career ending move and besides what are we gonna get out of this without our star pitcher?

Rumsfeld responds that if we pitch him high and tight that he merely has to lean into the pitch, break his glass jaw, and win this game by default – it’s just too risky pitching this guy on the inside.

Rumsfeld -What does CIA have to say about this Colin?

Powell – There still looking for them, but “off the record” they were never there.

Bush – forget about all that nonsense, I want this guy really bad, he’s a fricken hockey player, not a batsman – let me show him some heat one more time, he had a lucky swing at best, after all, the polls suggest that he is ripe for the beating and I’m just the man to give it to him.

Bush approaches the mound for what he hopes to be his final pitch for another four years.

Kerry approaches the plate for what he hopes is a grand slam at his shot for at a change but would readily accept a single or perhaps a bunt.

Bush winds it up.

Kerry sets.

Mitchell gets sore hands from sloppy typing and prematurely pushes send just before he collapses into exhaustion.

But seriously folks the thread has been fun and perhaps a Sweet November might come of all of this, who knows, but this has been a colorful debate and I simply thought it might seem fitting to close it in this manner.

No hard feelings towards any forum member or any response – lets hope that we all remain friends with perhaps opposing opinions or attitudes, but still friends among professionals. smile.gif

Thank you In House for allowing and tolerating our debate.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 03-28-2004, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]