Bob W.

WORKING TOO HARD! :-(

Bob this is a wonderful example of being a great employer. Kudos!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

first i had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st

where were you you 40 years ago when i started this trade,

sounds like a great place to work, i hope that your plan is successful

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Are you hiring???  We are encouraged to work as many hours as possible, including double-time Sundays if we want.

• Like 1

I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week visiting family.  If you have time for a 10 cent tour I'd love to see your shop.

I've always found that men are like wheelbarrows, and need to be pushed :lol:

Good luck Bob!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Good luck Bob!

Being pushed is not the same as being encouraged,:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Good luck Bob!

I prefer a bull whip and cattle prod.

Today is day one!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

My boss made me work 10-12 hours 7 days a week for the last four months.

(I'm self employed)

ditto here

Working 12 hours a day trying to avoid an 8 hour a day job....that's me and I'm burnt out.

• Like 1

If this works out for you (and I suspect it will) consider reaching out to the business school of your local university and asking them do see if someone wants to do a case study on your process.

A published paper by an influential school means you could have effects felt far beyond just your shop.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, metalmansteve said:

Working 12 hours a day trying to avoid an 8 hour a day job....that's me and I'm burnt out.

sometimes we need to take a break...on the old off topic I made a few threads about how burnt out I got, since then, I learned to take a few days off here or there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

My boss made me work 10-12 hours 7 days a week for the last four months.

(I'm self employed)

Your boss is a jerk!!! hahaha I can totally relate to this..

• Like 2

WOW !

Great thinking Bob , I would be really appreciative if that were the case where I am employed .

I'm sure your guys will come together and make it happen .

what's not to like about that DEAL  ?

• Like 1

How are you handling the Friday to Monday hand off between the two crews?

17 hours ago, Chipmakr said:

How are you handling the Friday to Monday hand off between the two crews?

There is no hand off.  All of our machines are run by cell controllers so the operators come in, read and follow the instructions as pallets come down, and things run.  The leadership team (ownership, me) works five days a week to keep things coordinated.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2021 at 12:16 PM, Bob W. said:

I prefer a bull whip and cattle prod.

Today is day one!

Just send a little chin music their way if they start acting up.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, Chipmakr said:

@Bob W. what's the latest on this experiment?

We are slipping a little.  Spindle hours are still good but we are definitely slipping on the schedule (3-4 days?).  We currently plan to go back to business as usual for September, regroup, and see where the issues were and what can be done to fix them.  It hasn't been a disaster by any means and I do think it can be made to work but we will need to adjust how we do things a little.  That is what we have to figure out.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

We are slipping a little.  Spindle hours are still good but we are definitely slipping on the schedule (3-4 days?).  We currently plan to go back to business as usual for September, regroup, and see where the issues were and what can be done to fix them.  It hasn't been a disaster by any means and I do think it can be made to work but we will need to adjust how we do things a little.  That is what we have to figure out.

Really awesome leadership, going through this work to make your company a better workplace!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

On 8/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, Bob W. said:

I am curious about this experiment! I love it, and one of the reasons I don't work in production is that many owners simply expect you to work 60 hours as if it is normal. Once in awhile for a push is fine but not every week.

What type of spindle up time are you aiming for? 70%?

Have you considered 4 10s as an option as well?

• Like 1

Our goal is to grow through automation, not necessarily adding labor.  We leverage our employees time through improving and automating processes to reduce labor in parts and increase their productivity.  An example is we have our mill turn semi-finishing, probing, comping the tool, and finishing the feature all automatically.  I know this is nothing new but we actively identify challenging or time consuming features and improve the process to reduce labor and increase process reliability.  On production parts we have put significant effort into deburring on the machine and some deburr toolpaths are pretty involved but the result is reducing the labor in each part by a few hours so our deburr department can work on other things. 

These improvements aren't geared toward eliminating people, they are geared towards growing sales with the people we have.  The issue in this last month was in rework cycles.  If a feature is .0005" out and it is an expensive titanium casting it isn't going back into the machine to be fixed, it gets stoned by a craftsman.  We need to reduce/ eliminate the rework cycles through more robust processes going forward.  That was the hang up on this.  It isn't easy because often a feature is out because a casting relieves a little during machining so that has to be accounted for.  It is never ending...  Also we only have one operator for our NTX2000 mill-turn so having that sit every Friday wasn't good.  That machine produces ~$4k per day...

With our three Makino HMCs we are shooting for 250 spindle cut hours per week.  Our record (with some OT) was 320 in one week, single shift.

• Like 5