Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

your age?

Bill

just turned 30... Been programming with Mastercam for a little over 2 years... Before that, just a little bit of M/G Code here and there and back in college... Programmed Wire EDM's out of college, worked in a tool & die shop as a design engineer and HATED sitting behind a computer all day... Still not much for sitting behind a computer but the "straight up and down" learning curve keeps it interesting. cool.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just turned 33 feel like I'm 50 act like I'm 17.

Started machining since 17. Joined the Army/ National Guard (Lampoons) as helicopter crew chief also at 17 (Got quit from plant for not being 18). Liked flying, bu they do more before 5:00 than most do all day(Thats tooo much stuff.)

Went National Guard and took job as a draftsman with a green table and T-square. It was cool. got to make the parts I drew on manual mill lathe with no guidance. I to figure everything out on my own. (Did you know that a bridgeport mill can throw a five pound part 30feet?

Went back to guard full time to fly drug eradication here in NC. When Desert Storm came up

they cancelled our orders and I either had to get a real job or re-join army as a beret.

Took job as general machinist, and have not looked back since.

Jimmy

Hi, I'm 54, been programming since'88, before that I was a moldmaker. Worked at Lardens inc, Dynasty Mold(now out of business), Phoenix Die and Mold(now out of business), Plastics Research(now out of business)and Tower automotive. Those were in the Detroit area, moved to northern Michigan 3 years ago and am working steady, much to my relief, I thought it was me for awhile. Have a wife and beautiful daughter(7 years old)

I am 43 and keep going .

10 years CMC operator ,machinist ,programmer .

Work with MC from ver7.

Felt myself 17 inside ,but now very tired .

Tired of all .

And work lost it`s novelty and challenge ,

the less and less challenge ,everyday work

is a routine .

[ 12-26-2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Iskander teh Lazy ]

Hi

I'm 34 and have been machining and using MC for about 3 years (?). Before that, basically worked in wood shops, and welding shops my whole life.

Once I split from my Dad's shop, it was sink or swim so I got a loan for the Haas, and read everything I could about machining. Broke lotsa tools, but we're still pumping out parts, and they keep getting done better and faster, so I guess I'm doing something right? People like Scott Bonda and James Meyette saved my butt more than a few times that's for sure (Thanks guys).

Anyway, Every(!!) time I come here I learn something new, It's that help and support that lets me know I chose the right program.

Sometimes I do miss my Bobcad though. (NOT!!)

Hapy New Year

John

Chris I know waht you are saying.

I saw it started to read the first page and saw my post

quote:

I am 35 years to and started as a wax investment mold maker when I was 22 my self. posted 07-06-2001 07:17 AM

and said that's not right I am older then that.

I then looked at the date and said oh there is the problem.

Hello All,

I'm 38, but my lower back makes me feel older at times. I worked as a job shop machinist, CNC operator/programmer for about 7 years after graduating from college. I've been teaching at the same high school for the past 6 years. I teach general metal shop, MC, AutoCAD, Photoshop, Corel Draw, & Rhino.

I get a lot of excellent info. from this site. Definitely the best e-group I belong to. Wish I could contribute more, but my skills/knowledge are a fraction of the best in here. Maybe I will get up to speed one of these days. smile.gif The search engine rocks!

Steve

Turned 27 on 6/14,. Been at this trade for eight years now and i think it has went from being a job to becoming my only hobby.(Pretty sad I know) Even to the point where i am on my second year of design at the local college and have set up a little prototrac in my garage for side work. The wife thinks i am crazy but I guess there are worse and more expensive hobbies to be in.

Well I have my birthday shown but will post it. I turned 32 this year and had my 2nd daughter born on that day this year which I am sure alot of you already knew. I got started at 14 when my neighbor let me make stuff on an engine lathe and Knee mill. We built one of the Frist Arch bending machine for Custom Arch Windows for $1,000,000 plus homes back in the mid 80's for his brother who had a saw mill where I worked 2 summers like a dog. His brother let me make all his custom wood blades for the shaper on his Surface grinder and custom made shape grinder. I took Machine shop class for 3 years and got all A's for all three years. I then just stuck with it and here I am today.

Sad part is of the 12 guys I went to class with I am the only one still doing it.

Crazy Millman

[ 12-29-2003, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

I'll be 30 of the 31st....

They have parties all around the world on my birthday. They closes stores early and people have off on my birthday. And they have this big party in New York where they drop this ball or something like that for my birthday.

Geez I didn't know my birthday was such a big deal smile.gif

I hope everyone has a safe and happy new years...and my celebrates my birthday.

cheers.gif

I'm 35 years old. Been around a machine shop all my life. My father started this fixture shop over 40 years ago doing patterns and models and then fixtures. I started sweeping the floors at 14.

Started cnc programming almost 11 years ago.

Man, time sure flies.

Have a wife and two girls, an old grumpy cat and a psychotic dog!

36 years, i graduated as a welder from vocational high school in Puerto Rico.

also in high school tooked machinnig and drafting.

came to U.S 18 years of age, start working as a welder, 5 years when by, then i saw the opportunity to get into machinning so i did it in 1990 i started to work as an operator, 2 years later i went to community college to get a diploma in machine technology and drafting ( autocad and autocam ), i advanced as a setup / programmer, 4 years ago i started working with cad-cam software (gibbs) i liked it, tooked a class at S4A for lathe, got hired here, went to class for mill at macdac, been doing mill for 1 year now and i hope within the next 3 months i will attent a class for 3d and solids. wink.gif

Top of the morning to all.

Im 28 years young,

I got my start in the winter of 93

I was doing hand finishing and painting of prototype ID models.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong story short

I worked very hard and asked many question's to many different people and as a result, for last 6 years have been CNC modelmaker, programming 3d models.

----ride fast heal slow----

My dad ran a forging company for many years. That was my first exposure to this metalworking stuff. Would stand there in awe as the 50,000 Lb. forge would pound a part out of a glowing orange billet of steel. Took metal shop all 4 years of High school. The teacher got me a job in a local aerospace company. Senior year I went to class for 1/2 day and then to work for 1/2 day. Man that was great. 20 hours a week got me a paycheck for $55.60 enough to fill the pinto with gas and take my girl out a couple times. When i graduated the boss offered me full time work so i took it. That was in 1981. Started on the burr bench and eventually graduated to the CNC lathe dept. Worked there for 12 years. Company got bought by a competitor who closed the doors to eliminate some of their competition. Went from there to a job shop. Kept my eyes open for something better to come along. Answered an ad in the paper and have been here almost 10 years now. Been using Mastercam since 1993. I like what i do but sure wish i had listened to dad a little more. I would be playing (golf) for my paycheck instead of working.