Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

When will it get here?

Dave Ball

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We feel we might as well wait for X4. We tried X3 and had nothing but problems. X3 has been a huge disappointment for us because it doesn't fix the basic functionality that we feel is much more important than new features like FBM. When I say basic functionality I'm referring to much better chaining, more powerful WCS creation and management, a more powerful and robust Machining Operations Manager and for sure a far less modal user interface.

At this point all five of our seats are back running X2 MR2 SP1.

John , let me ask you this, because the X3 does not due what you want you are making the others not move forward?

I have to say I would like to see the other programmers from your company on this forum letting us know there issues and being able to get some of there questions answered.I know they have questions and issues correct? PS this is not an attack but straight guestions.

The MU1 is close by. it has made X3 for sure better.

I have been using X3 to cut complex parts from mold cavity's to Multi axis for months. I am not saying there were NO issues but I do say that MU1 has taken care of most issues.

The real disapointments to our company is

A) I am trying to train a new guy but can not put him on X3 because half the time you can see what you are chaining. So everytime he accidentally opens an X3 program on X2 I get to start over again because it corrupts the file, because god forbid the 2 were compatible.

B) It is putting our drawing department behind on Solid Works because they can update until I do.

Don't get me wrong I am Mastercam lover, just wish they would have taken care of the basic functions by now. Instead of making us all wait for MR1. A service pack would have been nice or making there goal date of sometime in October.

Did something go wrong in the intial testing to have so many bugs?

Some of the bugs go as far back as X1, the chaining problem was there then, and then fixed in the service pack that we had to wait months for then along with having to wait for the update to solid edge then. I would think they would look for the same mistake twice, but that is just me.

Well hopefully testing will be more complete on X3 MR1. Or we are still in the same boat 5 months later.

Hopefully they will get there stuff together soon.

quote:

half the time you can see what you are chaining

Its not that big a deal..When highlight quits working click the "Regenerate Display" icon..

It looks like a paintbrush on an orange background.

SolidWorks compatibility shouldn't be an issue either. Export as X_B..you can set the output version to be compatible with any MC version down to V8.. you can also create a WCS in SW and export

your part into Mastercam aligened as defined in Solidworks.. I haven't used "sdlprt" since V8

It really stinks when you have to stay one maintenence release behind when you have to pay for maint.

I wish they would just spend a little more time in quality control before the release. I mean it seems like little things get overlooked (renumber tools).

I know they cant catch everything but COME ON....get the little things right at least.

I too am waiting for MR for x3

GCODE THOSE ARE SIMPLE FIXES FOR PEOPLE WHO COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY WORKING WITH. BUT FOR US SOLIDWORKS IS A WORK IN PROCESS, WE TYPICALLY USE SOLIDEDGE BUT ARE MAKING A SWITCH DUE TO ONE OF CLIENTS NEEDS. SO TO UPDATE TO GET CURRENT SOFTWARE IS TO MUCH OF A HASSLE WITH CURRENT MASTERCAM SOFTWARE. ALSO TO HAVE A NEW PROGRAMMER TRY TO DO TO MUCH WILL CONFUSE THE PROCESS, AND THAT IS ALSO A GENERIC FIX THAT DOES NOT WORK ALL THE TIME FOR ME. I TYPICALLY HAVE TO SAVE AND REOPEN TO GET MY STUFF TO HIGHLIGHT CORRECTLY. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY TO BACKDOOR THINGS IS ALL ANYONE IS SAYING. LIKE I SAID I LOVE MASTERCAM, BUT TO RELEASE WHAT THEY RELEASED AND TO NOT FIX AT LEAST THE BASIC STUFF IS RIDICULOUS, 4 MONTHS AND 13 LATER TO HAVE NO SOLUTION IS RIDICULOUS. I AM SO HAVING FLASHBACK TO X1!

quote:

I TYPICALLY HAVE TO SAVE AND REOPEN TO GET MY STUFF TO HIGHLIGHT CORRECTLY

no you don't .. The rebuild display list icon

will restore the highlight function..

I'm going out on a limb here but...

there will be a maintenace update released...

soon..

Dont feel bad Rickster. Mine ran out last month, so I guess Im screwed again for 2 seats. curse.gif In the last 2 years of paying for maintenance I have gotten X2 then had to pay for maintenance again to get MR2. I have refused to pay for maintenance any more until I feel its justified. I pay for it and get sh!t worse than I had and have to pay again to get it fixed. These software companies are nothing more than scam artists.

quote:

Yeah I learned my lesson with X1 also, and now I wait until there is a MR or at least SP before updating.

The initial release of X was a major overhaul to the software. Knowing that I waited until MR2 to start using it. That's right around the time this forum started to quiet down after X was released as many of the initial show stopping problems were eventually resolved.

Since then, I've treated X2 and X3 as I did previous version level changes (I've been using Mastercam since v3.21 in mid 1992), and that's with diligent caution by taking absolutely nothing for granted. It's much easier to avoid making scrap that way. smile.gif

The only major issue I have now has been lurking in Mastercam since it was first implemented in version 9 and that is with the WCS. I seem to recall reading somewhere the WCS is getting an overhaul in X4. Or maybe that was just a figment of a wishful imagination?