Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using Your Real Name

Mike Mattera - TFM

Maybe it's just me, but have any of you considered using your real names? You can be anonymous if you want. But I look at it this way, I would like to be able to help everyone, but there aren't enough hours in the day. If I can write a quick blurb to help, great! I will.

When I see people I know and like, I'm eager to help them as best I can. I know Paul Larson and Brent Wilkerson. When I see their names, I try to help them. I think if every dealer could see that their customer was having a problem, they would jump right in.

I have to question if someone who wont use their real name is a legitimate customer. Only a bootlegger has something to hide, Right!

Just MHO. Interested to see what you have to say.

Mike Mattera

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't agree. I prefer to be called rekd while I'm on line. Otherwise I'd have signed on as Matt Finley from Bonkintown USA.

If a person refuses to give their name, then maybe, but not definately. To assume that anyone that uses an alias is a potential pirate is just stupid. Sorry.

'Rekd teh 'profiled'

Good Day,

The Man has a point!!!!

Tony G

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

--------------------------------------------------

I dont mind using my real first name. I can understand why someone would use their name on the forum if they are in business and use the forum to promote there business. I also can understand why other members would rather not.

Privacy issues are very important to some and should be respected. (Aside from pirates!)

There are so many scams going on and I can understand why many people would like to limit their exposure.

What do I know, Im exposed.

Hi Mike,

quote:

I think if every dealer could see that their customer was having a problem, they would jump right in.

What makes you think that ?

Not all "dealers/resellers are as cool as you obviously are. No slam intended in any direction or at any particular dealer. I'm just sayin that you need to know some of the dealers stories before throwin out that they will jump in and help. That is not always the case after the "check" is signed. Heck I even know of a story where the shop wanted to buy MC but couldn't get the dealer to answer the phone or come in to the shop. So they bought Smurfcam.

And yeah that's my real name.

Wouldn't matter alot either way since my e-mail at work is my real name.

JM2C

I know they can track I.P addresses so how “anonymous” are we really?

On a side note I did get a cowardly semi-anonymous and very inflammatory e-mail once from an old aquaintance who occasionally peruses this forum and my wife talked me out of beating the crap out of him. The way he phrased the e-mail it was obvious who sent it. Funny thing was the next time I saw this individual he had NOTHING to spout off about to my face.

I guess cyber nads are considerably larger than real nads. tongue.gif

Well I am the Crazy one on a milling machine. I have Ron in my response and everyone knows me on here. But I would think you might reword your comments because if you think I am a bootlegger you can stick it up your arse. I like the name and if you dont like the fact we do this then such is life get over it.

Of cousre I think this explains it all:

quote:

When I see people I know and like, I'm eager to help them as best I can.

I on the other hand and well as the other bootleggers try to help everyone how about giving that a shot it might get you futher.

Well this topic certianly brought about a lot of interesting responses.

I understand why some people might not want to use their real names. The internet can be a crappy place sometimes. I personaly dont care what name you use. I live in America. Personal freedom is something I hold very dear. As I stated earlier, I would love to help everyone, but there aren't enough hours in the day and I do have other responsibilities. I have always enjoyed helping others learn Mastercam because it is such a cool "Can Do" kind of a product. It's great to spend time with someone who has a genuine desire to learn. I can see many of you have this inside you.

But since I cant help everyone, it would be helpful for me to know who are my customers. Because believe it or not, I feel if they are my customers, I owe them a certain amount of service.

And please understand that I'm not calling anyone a bootlegger. But bootlegging hurts all legitimate users. So it dosent hurt to mention it every now and then. We need to watch out for bootleggers.

I'm just trying to be a better human by knowing the other humans in the room.

Mike Mattera

Well again this will come across the wrong way but have you seen someone ask for a free post and the response some of us have about it. That in turn is a help to you and a good thing to limit bootleggers. I have been chatting on the Web for about 9 years now I met my wife in Brazil on the Web and I have never used my real name. If you would like to know who your customers are send out a letter to eahc one fo your cusotmers and ask them what name they are using on the forum. Thne you can make yourself a autoscript to check them when you bring up this website and it will auto notify if any of them on the list have a topic posted and then you can help just those people who you only have time for. I am sorry but I fully understnad the no time thing but I give becuase this place has given and thankful for this place and its people which is the biggest reason I give back the way I do.

On that just to give you soem insight inot me I carry no hard feeling expect old doulbe personallity guy and Jaws besides that I help any and all that I can and I learn somethign everyday just helping them because no one person can know it all and to learn from others is sometimes its best gift.

quote:

But since I cant help everyone, it would be helpful for me to know who are my customers. Because believe it or not, I feel if they are my customers, I owe them a certain amount of service.

Mike,I do not use my "real name" here on the forum and really have nothing to hide.

But if you check your saved po's you will find one from Brendan Proulx who purchased 2 of your great Cd's. wink.gif

My name is Don Dawson. I use Code_Breaker because I was a cryptanalysis (code breaker). I worked on many different types of code before becoming a CNC programmer. I worked on multiple rotors systems, and even, wrote a book "Cryptanalysis of a Single Rotor Cipher Machine: published by Aegean Park Press in Calif.

Code breaker always had a "nom" for nom-de-plum, or a "cover name." My original nom is top secret and I don't use it anymore.

Anyway, that's me, Code_Breaker cheers.gif

quote:

Maybe it's just me, but have any of you considered using your real names?

Ummm...if you have an Avatar by your name you must be legit right?

Besides if you look at peoples profile, most of us have their names in their e-mail address...

As for why I use Murlin for my handle, well....the reason I use this name is because it is the first character I made when I started playing online games.

The FBI can be knocking on your door in a few minutes of logging on to any server, especially with all the embedded backdoor chips on all your computer components. Don't think they are not in there wink.gif

No one is really anoymous......

If I need real hands on help from anyone from this board I will, and have, corresponded with

board members and given them my real name.

I just choose to reserve the right to openly advertize my name in every post cheers.gif

Besides.....Handles are cool..... cool.gif

Murlin

You want my S.S. # as well

J/K

I dont mind Names or not names most every one gets helped regardless, I got a signaturte

quote:

Ummm...if you have an Avatar by your name you must be legit right?

I am not a legit user hell I aint a user at all. frown.gif

quote:

I just choose to reserve the right to openly advertize my name in every post

I can see that being a point

If a pirate plays game here by rules and even helps others (may be Millman&crazy is a pirate by your logic ,he " just have not found the proper avatar " ) nothing will stop me to help him.

If the legit user plays as an *$$ curse.gif I will never help him no mater what .

You also may be the best dealer in the world but here we are all people and people help people .

Here we all equal ,no dealers ,no end users .

And your wish to rule or to know at least who is who SUX .

I let my dealer to know ,who I am here and he knows , but I was free to hide my real name and it is great ,cause I start to think that in your case I would take a better covered nick.

I would take something like :

BSOD (blue screen of death )