Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Locking Operations

gcode

We had a new programmer start this week and he locks every operation is every file

I've never used Lock and felt that if you needed to lock your operations you weren't doing things right.

IMO it's a hold over from early days and has no place in a modern Cad/Cam system 

What are your thoughts on locking operations

Pro's Cons?

We had a new programmer start this week and he locks every operation is every file

I've never used Lock and felt that if you needed to lock your operations you weren't doing things right.

IMO it's a hold over from early days and has no place in a modern Cad/Cam system 

What are your thoughts on locking operations

Pro's Cons?

Used to.... your ops would not go dirty if you locked them.   you could delete all the geometry, make changes, do eo's and still be able to keep your NCI files you had previously made...sometimes your ops would just go dirty and you did nothing wrong....

But now locking the ops does nothing...they will still go dirty so it is a useless function.

RARELY do I lock an op. When I do, 90% of the time it's in Lathe and I'm forcing something it doesn't want to do and when I get it to finally do it I lock that $#!+ up because if I chance something in a previous op it just hoses it.

One time I got a little surly on a crash report, I told 'em the software should just f*****g do what I tell it to, I know what the f**k I'm doing better than some code geek.

:rofl:

I use them sometimes.

When a file comes back after a couple of months, i'm thinking why did i lock that operation???

I would prefer to lock individual 'data entry boxes', requested here : http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic5593.aspx

But now locking the ops does nothing...they will still go dirty so it is a useless function.

They will go dirty..........., BUT the toolpath data is still there, and you can post them.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old topic where it seems everyone agreed the tool path locking was of limited value, but I thought it might be of value if anyone else comes across this topic. 

When you do lock a tool path -

What is the difference between a gold colored lock and a grey one?

Thanks,

Dan

People who prefare to use lock operations instead of other ways are waiting for trouble and it will

come .

Like Chekhov used to say that if at theater in first act on stage the rifle hanges on the wall

it will shoot in the last act.

Lock is the same rifle.

Enough is to move the part and your part will be scrapped .

I prefer the safe ways and I always find alternatives to lock .

This is my humble personal opinion not to offend anyone

JM5a

BR

I noticed in the original post the consensus is they are of limited value but I'm curious why there are two different colors.

Is there something wrong with the underlying operation?

More curious then anything else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

some are locked and are locked and masked .

HTH

For anyone curious about the color difference; go click on the "?" Help button in the Operations Manager.

Use the Search Tab and search for "Toolpath manager quick reference".

On the Toolpath Manager quick reference page, there is a description for every icon that is displayed in the Ops Manager. From that page of descriptions, here is the following info:

• A Yellow Padlock indicates that the Operation is "Locked".
  • A Gray Padlock indicates that the Operation is "Locked", and the Toolpath Display is turned "off"
  • If the Operation is Locked, and Posting is toggled "off", the icon will display half a padlock, and half a "ghost" icon.

If I'm in the middle of programming a part and I need to switch to a different part. I use lock  sometimes as a bookmark to remind myself what I was working on when I return to the unfinished program.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use manual input and write there a note for myself

BR

• Like 2