Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How did you guys get sooo good

Dead Money

Programming Mastercam is a small percentage of my job. I quote, process, trouble shoot, project manager and so on and so on. Most of what I know I learned by just playing around. I took a coarse locally but it was so basic it did no good. I have have had a couple 1 day training sessions with our local distributor over the years but its hard for me to learn very much in 1 day. The owner of the company is dissapointed that the programs are not cleaner and easier on the setup men. Setups seem to take longer then they should. I just tried reading some of your posts and I got to tell you I don't understand most of what you're talking about. I have nobody with-in the company to turn to. How the heck did you get so good at this?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes awhile and hanging out on this forum helps alot. We have the best resource for learning MasterCam right here. Sounds like it is some lack of training and experience on the companies part, as if the set-up guys maybe havent had exposure to how other shops are doing things or havent had prior set-up experience. Organization is a big over looked factor and information creation is often overlooked. Are the set-up guys programming? Are the Programmers on the floor at all? Is your shop a job shop or like a tool and die shop? Are you machining castings, sometimes fixturing can take a while in that case.

Welcome to the Forum.

From the ground up, you sound a little frustrated but hang in there. Think of the easiest way to process the part, then program it (best to start with a plan you have thought through) Think about your setup documentation standardise as much setup info, cutters and tooling as you can. Just work on one thing at a time so it doesn't seem out of control.

It's a "Do & Learn" kinda thing for me. I've been a MCAM user on and off since V4.1 and have used various other CAM Softwares at different jobs but have been a continuous user since V7.2 and I learn something new about it every day just by reading other peoples Q&A. Professional Training is a must to get you going in the right direction, but just use it every day and learn.

Custom training like Bill (Ployd) suggested can make a world of difference. There can also be a huge ROI by getting someone to properly configure your post processors. Often I see programmers and companies struggle with Mastercam because they don't want to spend the time or the money to get their posts configured properly. Instead of spending some money up front, a programmer will just get used to posting the code and hand editing the heck out if it.

That is how I got started learning posts. I was running Mastercam version 7 and I just got tired of having to hand edit my code. This led to me trying to edit the post file and learning how to do it.

Hiring a consultant might be money well spent, depending on what your goals and your company's goal are.

I agree with Murray: program, cut it, see what it did, program some more, cut it, see what it did... It's a continual learning process. I've been programming CNC equipment over 25 years and using Mastercam everyday for the past 4 years, programming and cutting aluminum and REN themoforming tooling, 3-axis milling, 5-axis trim programs, even a robotic machining center, and everyday I learn how to do something better.

Does your mastercam reseller offer online tech help? We have this service as part of our maintenance and service contract. Its helps out allot. When you come across an issue or "new" idea, research here and within mastercams help menu. You will learn allot along the way and you will better understand the question you have. Then call up your reseller for a net view or tech help. Just give yourself a time restriction so you do not end up spending the whole day on the problem. Also make sure everything is configured properly, such as tool libraries, post, machine defs, etc etc. You can focus easier and its great when you can post code that does not need to be edited.

quote:

Programming Mastercam is a small percentage of my job. I quote, process, trouble shoot, project manager and so on and so on.

I have only been in shops for 27 years. smile.gif

Programming is programming.

Not quoting,process,troubleshoot,project manager.

Small shops have a disadvantage over large shops in that these different hats are worn by others.

If your Boss/Owner is disappointed with code quality have a talk about it. Setups taking to long doesn't have anything to do with programs. Proveout of programs after setup is another issue. Just the way I see it. Sounds like a lot of little things to be addressed one at a time. Also sounds like there is no team review of new work coming in, just dump the prints on the progammers desk and hope for the best. Modular fixturing and standardized tooling along with programming standards would help you also. Bottomline tho grammin is grammin, quoting work and writing out process/printing job travelers and running out to "fix" stuff on the floor all pull you away from grammin. Good Luck and ask away. Welcome to the Forum. smile.gif

You could try seeing what the operators think are the best way they think you should be setting something up. Because if they are taking a long time seting up the way you think it needs to be setup theres a possibility that you are taking them out of thier confort zone or that they arnt completely understanding your plan. Communication between programmers and operators can sometimes cause alot of conflict and make building the parts take alot longer. As far as lake of training if you can afford it bringing in someone to train you for a week isnt a bad idea. If thats too expensive the books are a good help but even they only take you so far. One of the ways i figure out how to use differant areas of mastercam is to just experiment with differant things. Because you can make the same program on two differant blocks and end up with 2 totally differant programs.

I wish I was good. I just try to do my best. We all make mistakes and we call can improve anyone that says they are the best and have all the answers I run from them real fast. I learn something all the time and I can do a job ten times and can still find fault or a better way to do it. You do have to get at a point where it is what it is. I have seen people stress over extra 30 seconds of rapids on a run of 20 parts. The would spend 6 hours just to get that 10 minutes of time cut of the run time. I worry when I need to worry, I stress when I need to stress. The biggest thing is are you making money, are you making a good part, and is your customer happy?? If you can answer those 3 question with yes the rest is all just perception. If someone has a better way I am all ears, yet I hate those that think they have a better way yet have no clue how to get that better way done it what the true cost of that better way truly is. Time is money and money is time. Those that have lots of money spend it to get time down. Those who have less money spend a little time to get time down. Good example the Capto system is over $100k but in most shops would it reduce set-up times by 40% to 60%. It would take most shops 2 to 3 years to see a return on that investment. Good system good thing to have, but ask your boss if he is ready to spend that kind of money to reach his goals if he says no. Then he has 2 choice find a system that is cheaper, but still cost money or he can deal with the reality of what he has got.

Like someone sgueested have an outside company come in. All the major tool vendors know have program where they will come in and do a time study for you and spend a week at your shop. The catch is you have to buy their products, but they guarantee results. So again it cost money, so if he says no then he is the problem not you.

Good example they do not take a horse from anywhere and put against other horses in a race. They train that horse, spend years feeding, grooming and training so they can the horse knows how to start, how to stride, and when and where to sprint to the finish. You have your rare naturals, but for most it is a process. That took time and that took money and if no one is willing to put forth the money or the time to make things better, yet complain when it is not to their liking then they are their own worst enemy.

I have been doing this over 20 years and some call me good and some call me bad. I call myself me and do my best and if that is good enough great if not what can I do I can not make myself into something I am not and sorry not willing to let anyone tell me I have to be something more than I am.

Good luck, but experience is what I tell people I have when they call me smart. I am not all that smart, I just got a lot of experience to draw from to make the best decision I can make good or bad, and yes I make bad decisions. If you have limited experience then your decision good or bad will be off of that. You learn from your mistakes and move on. If you let them eat you up and keep you down then you can be looking for the right way if you are consumed with all the things you could do different and that goes with life as well as anything you do. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

quote:

I think training and seat time are the only way to get to the level some of the people here are at

+1000 to that, Unless you want to wate for JB's videos biggrin.gif

Do what you know over and over again till its easy to you, at that point slowly jump into harder programing.

Seat time is everything.

And dont worry, all of your questions can be answered right here, Just be cool and you can get all the help you will ever need.

Welcome to the forum cheers.gif NY cheers.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies. Maybe I just take it a little too personal but lately it seems if the setup person forgot to tighten the bolts to the fixture down I failed because I didn’t communicate good enough. The skill level of the shop floor is not what it used to be. Don’t get me wrong, my programs are not perfect and I am not blaming it all on them but it seems that they are not very quick at solving problems on their own. I came up from the floor so I know what its like to be in their shoes. I have spent the last 3 afternoons shadowing 3 different repeat setups on our verticals and all 3 setup men made very simple work offset shifts in the wrong direction as well as other mistakes. I get the feeling management thinks if I do my job right they can get anyone off the streets to setup and run these machines.

One of these replies mentioned common tooling and I have heard others talk about that. I would like to get to understand that better. Do you use general purpose cutters that cut aluminum one day and 4140 the next? Do you always have let’s say a ½ rougher as tool #1?

We are a contract job shop and generally run quantities from 40 to 100 pcs. Most of these jobs repeat 4 times a year.

We have 40 taper mills with 8000 rpms and 30 taper mills with up to 20000 rpms.

We tend to put parts in the next available machine but the cutter paths that work well on one machine are not optimal for the other. How do you guys handle this?

I want to build a library of successful cutter paths for the different work centers but not sure where to begin. Right now I just try to go from experience.

I would love to sit side by side with one of you cool guys for a year and sponge off you.

Thanks again,

quote:

I would love to sit side by side with one of you cool guys for a year and sponge off you.

:blushing:tongue.giftongue.gif

But I live so far biggrin.gifwink.gif J/K

Right here in this forum your gonna find just

about any/and everything you need.

That goes not only for mastercam, but for

applying diffrent machining applications.

A real gold mine. cheers.gifcheers.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

In regards to the software...

Don't really know that I am sooo good, but the best learning experience I have had is working with people who you could rely on to answer questions.

The second most valuable thing was working with a group that was always expirementing with the software and ways of doing things. I can't say how many times someone would say "Hey, look at this. Did you know you can do this?"

In regards to programming in general...

A big +1 to Rick Henrickson about figuring out the process ahead of time. IMO it is THE most important part of programming. The software is just a tool. If you know WHAT you want to do, chances are someone on here can steer you in the right direction.

Just a thought. Take some time and occasionally set up one of your own programs with the set up man standing right there watching. Run it and see how it performs. I never program in a fashion that would be good for me but unacceptable to others. And yes, I do catch snafus in my own code. There's nothing more humbling than having the $hit hit the fan when a co-worker or worse yet, Management is standing right there when it happens.

As far as tightening bolts, bad wpc shifts and so on, you can't hold their hands all day long. Grin and bear it when its not your fault. Ditto the seat time.