Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How many machines do you program for?

Oakprogrammer

Used to be 5 of us programming for about 15 3-axis VMC, 7 4-axis HMC,  6 5-axis. 

Since then we've added some machines and we're up to 8 mill programmers.

Now a days I personally do a mix of process improvement and new parts. Whatever the boss thinks we can/should be making more money on hits my desk, it's a pretty cool gig.

• Like 5

Essentially 1 HMC, 1 VMC, 1 5 axis mill, and 2 wire EDMs. I mostly program tooling for form dies and stuff of that nature.

We have 2 other mills but they generally just run older production programs, occasionally new production parts will come through on them.

Also have 4 lathes but I have only made around 10-15 programs for them in the 3 years I have been programming.

• Like 2

On a consistent basis, I personally support 5 horizontals, 2 lathes, 1 mill turn, 4-4 axis vertical mills, 5-3 axis vertical mills. There is something like 45 machines in here with controllers on them and I have pretty well poked the buttons on them all at one point or another. There are 4 of us programmers here and we split the work into cells, so each person has there own area they support. All different controllers too, Fanuc, Mazak, Siemens, Heidenhain, Makino, Haas and Landis (grinders). It's one of the things that keeps this job fun, is it's always different day to day. Someone always has a problem to solve.

• Like 3

We've got 57 machines between 3 building.

Its a mix of 2X lathes, VMC.s VTL's, 3 +2 HBM's, two 5X lathes, two 5X gantries and 2 big Okuma 5X HMC's

Some of it's pretty new, and some of the big VTL, were built in the 70's and are on their 3rd retrofit.

• Like 3